Corsair Community

Will the HX620W power the GPU i want to upgrade to?

Mvgratz

I was about to use eVGA's step-up program to upgrade my gpu and read on another support forum where it said I might not have a large enough psu. I have the Corsair HX620W in my system. I'm about to change my cpu to the E8400. I'm leaving it at 3ghz because of the limitations of my mobo being locked. It draws the same 65watts as my current cpu. I'm also adding a second segate hardrive. The gpu in my pc does not perform to my expectations so I want to step it up a few notches to their gts250 (basically the same as a 9800gtx+ that uses a little less "juice". eVGA says I need a 450watt psu rated for 24amps with 1 6pin pci-e. I was told some other people that I needed to have at least an 800 watt psu for the GTS250 gpu.? I was sceptical about this information since I have read so many peoples spec's where they have smaller psu's than mine and use much more power demanding video cards than the one I'm upgradeing to. I've read on my psu spec's where it say's 3 rail @18amps each. Do Corsair psu's "share" current (amp's) between rails? What I mean is it going to privide the full 24 amps through my 1 pci-e 6 pin connector to the gpu? If anyone can tell me if I have "enough" psu to make these upgrades or not I'd love to hear from you before I spend the extra money! Thanks for your help in advance!:):

• Corsair Employees
The 450w 24 amp rating is for the entire system running that card, not just the card itself so you should be fine. The HX620 uses a single 12v rail rated at 50 amps, you will have more than enough power. According to Nvidia's specs, this card can pull a maximum of 150 watts.

I figured it was plenty of psu! If you go by the eVGA required spec's I probally could run 2 of these is SLI with my psu.? Not that I plan on it at the moment, but would it? Considering I had the currrent setup running of my stock dell 300psu for two weeks before I went to the Corsair it ought to be close!

Archived