Corsair Community

TWINX1024 4000PRO vs. TWINX1024 3200LLPRO

Nestan

I am currently planning a major upgrade to include a P4 3.0E (Prescott), Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, and one of the above listed memory packages. I have no immediate plans to overclock to 250Mhz FSB(1000Mhz quad pumped) but I most likely will from the get go run my system at 217mhz (866Mhz quad pumped). I may later on when benefits would be more noticeable push my system harder but my main concern is which memory to buy to most suit my needs. What latencies could the 4000pro handle at underclocked frequencies (DDR433, 466) and what latencies could the 3200LL Pro handle at these same frequencies. I wish there was still good 3500 and 3700 memory available for the intermediate overclocker. Please RamGuy give me a heads up as to which direction i should take. :sunglasse

I can give you a brief insight into what I've acheived with my Corsair XMS 4000 pro version 1.1. At 231 fsb (3700mhz) it was rock solid with the following latencys : 2.5 - 4 - 3 - 6. Thats with 2.8v. At 237.5fsb (3800) the memory definatley does not like cas 2.5, and must always have a ras to cas of 4. I haven't fiddled with the other settings and am currently running the stock 3-4-4-8 again at 2.8v. I keep meaning to have another go maybe reducing the two remaining settings... but like you I'd rather see what others are acheiving before I force instability on myself. Incidentally theres three revisions of this pc4000 ram, 1.1 (I have this), 1.2, and 3.1. I'm not sure upon the differences.

I'll have to get with RAM GUY on the revision numbers, but it's due to IC availability. As for your setup, I'd get the PC4000 as the PC3200 won't be able to make the big OC that you're thinking of doing later. Why not buy for the future? The loss of performance because of CAS 2.5 or CAS 3 isn't very noticeable and the Intel boards/CPUs have a very good array of buffering techniques. In junction with dual-channel arcitechture, I doubt you'd even notice. However, PC4000 modules are CAS 3 modules and don't usually run below that, but it never hurts to try. The good news is that their maximum voltage is 2.9 instead of the 2.8 of PC3500/3700 and below which gives you a better chance of being able to do it when underclocked. As stated, some people do manage it. PLUR CK

Great Feedback guys and your input helps alot. Anyone else with some information regarding this topic please keep the thread going, as I am buying my new rig the first week of May. Has anyone pushed 3200LL Pro to 217mhz (DDR433) or 233Mhz (DDR466)? If so then please tell us what latencies and voltage level you were able to run stable. And if anyone else has 4000Pro who has tried to underclock at above frequencies also pass on your stable settings. Thanks again :)

Just tried again for you m8, 238 fsb (which was 100% at 3-4-4-8), tried with 2.9 volts 3-4-3-7, and got an nice blue screen for my troubles after 20 mins or so :) I could try 3-4-3-8 but doesnt really seem worth it.

[quote name='Nestan']Great Feedback guys and your input helps alot. Anyone else with some information regarding this topic please keep the thread going, as I am buying my new rig the first week of May. Has anyone pushed 3200LL Pro to 217mhz (DDR433) or 233Mhz (DDR466)? If so then please tell us what latencies and voltage level you were able to run stable. And if anyone else has 4000Pro who has tried to underclock at above frequencies also pass on your stable settings. Thanks again :)[/QUOTE] Sure, I've had My Twinx-3200LL Pro @ [url=http://www.bat-caveonline.com/MiscPics/3200LL_230mhz.jpg]230mhz[/url] @ 2.5-3-2-5 Hans

Archived