Corsair Community

Gigabyte Mobo Not Posting Corsair XMS2? Help please?

jlhromeo

Old ram posts fine, works fine, never a lockup. Wanted to upgrade. Bought the TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX kit and upon installing, pc got to memtest area of bios then restarted. Upon a hard shut off, it would not do a thing (monitor would not even come off stand-by) Tried using one stick, same. Swapped sticks (slot 1 to slot 2, etc) same problem. Installed old ram, had to clear CMOS for it to even post, now its working fine but I really want the 2GB kit installed.

Any compatibility issues? Only thing I have found is I am unsure if the Corsair ram is dual channel? Also, it has a higher voltage than the king-st-on (why does it block that as one word...) (1.8v vs 2.15v) as well as it being faster (800mhz vs 667mhz) also the timing is different. 4-4-4-12 on the corsair, and i believe my old ram was 5-5-5-x.

I checked Gigabyte and their motherboard supports 800mhz DDR2 dual channel memory, but they have not tested this ram of course so they cant say yes or no. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! :eek:

EDIT: i think i found the problem... gigabyte's site says the motherboard supports 1.8V ram, and the corsair is 2.15V... BUMMER.... anyone have 2 gigs of ddr2 1.8V they wanna trade for my 2gigs of 2.15v? o_O

• Corsair Employees
These modules will require 2.1 Volts and when changing the memory you may have to clear the BIOS with just our modules installed and then set the memory Voltage to +.3 Volts in the BIOS setup.

Only thing I have found is I am unsure if the Corsair ram is dual channel?

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

Also:

Compatible Memory for your Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2

Compatible Memory for your Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 (rev. 2.0)

Archived