Corsair Community

Can't run dual channel

Huddit

I have both a Asus P5K and a Asus P5Q SE 2 (bought it because I thought the P5K was broken, which it wasn't, they checked it). I'll cut to the problem:

Four Corsair xms2 1gb 800mhz

This works:

Two RAM in the two left slots on the motherboard (two right slots on the P5K). This is singel channel.

This doesn't work:

One RAM in 1A one RAM in 1B (dual channel, as the manual says).

All four RAMs in all the slots

With all four RAMs (and sometimes even the two ones in dual) setting: RAM voltage to 1,9V and also later to 2,0V. Still doesn't work. Setting the RAM voltage to 2,0V and at the same time setting the North birdge to 1,2V. Still doesn't work.

What happens is: Fans speed up, I get nothing on the screen. Help me please!

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Would you mind writing the whole names, I get the frequency, the North bridge and the Chipset (?). And then Chipset memory controlen hub? Were do I find this and SPP?

And why aren't I able to run 800MHz with all four?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Would you mind writing the whole names, I get the frequency, the North bridge and the Chipset (?). And then Chipset memory controlen hub? Were do I find this and SPP?

A: They are all the same setting just some MB's call it a slightly different name.

NB North Bridge

NB SPP = System Platform Processor

NB MCH = Memory Controller Hub

The goal is to add more voltage to the memory controller +.2 Volts and for the same reason as bellow. Please do a bit more research next time.:biggrin:

And why aren't I able to run 800MHz with all four?

A: There is more loading on the memory controller as you add more modules and the Twin sets are not tested in 4 up configurations the only way 4 up configurations are guaranteed would be with one of our Quad sets.

A: They are all the same setting just some MB's call it a slightly different name.

NB North Bridge

The goal is to add more voltage to the memory controller +.2 Volts and for the same reason as bellow. Please do a bit more research next time.:biggrin:

A: There is more loading on the memory controller as you add more modules and the Twin sets are not tested in 4 up configurations the only way 4 up configurations are guaranteed would be with one of our Quad sets.

Thanks you very much! :)

I will get back soon when I've tried this!

NB North Bridge

Hello again. I have changed to:

DDR667

RAM voltage 2,0V

North bridge 1,3V

But I can't find Memory controller hub or System platform processor anywere in the BIOS. Can you help me?

Sorry for beeing a noob at this haha, I just want my computer to work as good as it can.

This happend when I started the computer:

Started and fans started going, died. Then rebooted itself and became just like before (nothing on the screen, fans blowing hard).

So, it still doesn't work...

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Thank you. Will I be getting a Quad set, so it works with the motherboard?

How long does this usually take?

Thanks!

edit. Take notice that Komplett (were I bought one of the pairs) already tested the memories, and they are fine. The other pair are brand new. So the problem should be that they don't work well with this motherboard (only the 2x2gb ones that they have tested with it, Asus that is).

Only if you bought a quad set would you get a quad set back. I believe the issue is that your motherboard northbridge is wonky and does not like working with four modules.

This will repeat with a new set of two kits if that is the case.

Thank you. Will I be getting a Quad set, so it works with the motherboard?

How long does this usually take?

Thanks!

edit. Take notice that Komplett (were I bought one of the pairs) already tested the memories, and they are fine. The other pair are brand new. So the problem should be that they don't work well with this motherboard (only the 2x2gb ones that they have tested with it, Asus that is).

Archived