Corsair Community

Stability issues with P5N72-T premium

styx28

Hi everyone,

I just completed a system build based on an Asus P5N72-T premium board and 2 CM2x2048-8500C5D ram. I have experienced stability problems from the word go, mostly the notorious nvgts.sys BSOD. I updated to the15.23 chipset driver and crash frequency decreased significantly, but remained to some extent. After each crash the system refused to do anything (no output to screen, and aside from lights and fans, no activity) until the ram was removed, and swapped over. I then ran 6 passes of memtest86+, with no errors. CPU burn in tests showed no problems either. At this stage all BIOS settings were at default.I then overclocked my FSB to 1500MHz with a linked setting, which raised my ram to 900MHz, and processor to 3.6GHz. Stability appears to have increased significantly.

My question is: which BIOS settings should I be using with regards to the memory subsystem and CPU for stability and component longevity?

There have been reports of issues with the Asus chipset drivers. This is the only "Review" site I have found with your board. You might find more stability with the Nvidia Website Chipset drivers.

Click Here

You may have to wait for further BIOS revisions. Considering Nvidia is out of the chipset making business and has now licensed Intel chipsets for the next five years, I wonder at further BIOS revisions. Hopefully Nvidia continues to support their products.

Be sure to set your SPP/MCP chipset voltage +.1v higher. The overclock will help. Have you tried raising your FSB to 1600Mhz with the memory to 1066 with 2.1v and +.1v of the chipset?

I have not tried raising any voltages yet, I was keeping it as a last resort, but it should give me a little bit of extra stability, sounds like a good idea.I will test the system with the FSB at 1600 and the extra voltage on the chipset and see how it goes. If I do up the FSB and chipset voltage how well will my components last.The interesting thing is that the sysem has never crashed while running my other OS(s).Thanks for taking the time to respond DerekT, it's much appreciated.

In reply to Ram Guy's post, I have used the white slots for both modules but have yet to try the modules individually. Since my last post I have tested different configurations. I tested different timings and made voltage changes, each time testing with memtest86+'s test#5. With tCL: 5, tRCD:5, tRP:5, and tRAS: 15 @1066MHz I had 204 errors in 4 minutes. I raised latency timings gradually, testing as I went, until I was back at auto (5-6-6-21). I still had the same number of errors. I also tried the memory at 2.12V, with the same result. For these tests the FSB was set at 1600MHz and the CPU multiplier at 9.0x (unlinked) for a theoretical 3.6GHz. Then I set it to linked using the same FSB speed which dropped memory speed to 960MHz and kept memory timings on auto. No errors were found in 30 minutes. At these settings BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 43C and a mobo temperature of 36C after several hours of running tests.

Does this mean that my ram won't run at 1066MHz, or am I doing something wrong?

• Corsair Employees
Does this mean that my ram won't run at 1066MHz, or am I doing something wrong?

Based on the posts and reviews of that board, it may need a BIOS revision to run 1066 reliably. You can try running Memtest with the memory at DDR800 and see if you have a weak or failing memory module: http://www.memtest.org

Also, have you tried all of the tips from that linked post?

try putting one module in first. then set clock speeds to 1066 and then save, shut down PC and set in second module and see if that works.

Oh and think someone in one of earlier posts mentioned having trouble even setting FSB to manual as it reseted all the time. Only way i managed to fix that was by disconnecting power cord and removing the System battery on Motherboard. This completly resets and clears CMOS and should allow you to change FSB settings thereafter.

I tried what the linked post said to do, with the same result. BIOS setup allows me to go to 1066 but I get memory errors. I did extensive testing of the memory at 800 after I put the system together and it passed, which is why I have not been overly suspicious of the modules.

I am currently running the modules at 5-5-5-15 with the clock at 1040MHz and I have not had any errors on memtest86+ yet. Will I get the same errors if I try lowering the latency settings?

Another thing is I have the multiplier set at 9x for 3.6 but CPU-Z shows my core frequency to be 200MHz higher than when the multiplier was set to 9.5x and my FSB was at 1500Mhz (for 3.6GHz). Also memtest86+ displays the CPU clock as 3.8GHz. Am I doing 3.6 as displayed by BIOS (703) or is my CPU really running at 3.8?

I can't say why your clocking values show discrepancies and when you overclock, you have to find a ratio that will bring stability with the CPU and Memory Stream. Some people think that if they find CPU stability, and then Memory stability that any CPU and Memory set to what they have singularly found stability at should work. This is not the case. You need to marry the two and find your stability. Then you need to accept your individual system's settings for overclock and stability.

You will have to test if you lower latencies. Sooner or later in the lowering you will find instability and then you need to raise. However, these are things you should already know.

I tried what the linked post said to do, with the same result. BIOS setup allows me to go to 1066 but I get memory errors. I did extensive testing of the memory at 800 after I put the system together and it passed, which is why I have not been overly suspicious of the modules.

I am currently running the modules at 5-5-5-15 with the clock at 1040MHz and I have not had any errors on memtest86+ yet. Will I get the same errors if I try lowering the latency settings?

Another thing is I have the multiplier set at 9x for 3.6 but CPU-Z shows my core frequency to be 200MHz higher than when the multiplier was set to 9.5x and my FSB was at 1500Mhz (for 3.6GHz). Also memtest86+ displays the CPU clock as 3.8GHz. Am I doing 3.6 as displayed by BIOS (703) or is my CPU really running at 3.8?

• Corsair Employees

It seems like I have seen this on Nvidia chipsets before and it is a reporting error. Check it with the most recent version of CPU-Z.

I think the problem has been resolved. I have been testing my current overclock and it is stable under prime95 and memtest86+, but more importantly I am not getting the BSOD anymore. This may or may not be because I am using a chipset driver from the Nvidia site as opposed to the one from Asus.The +.1V on SPP/NB helped to stablize it, perhaps these Nvidia based boards can benifit from a bit more voltage.

My CPU runs stable on stock voltage at 3.8 with a FSB of 1600QDR. I have tried everything I can think of but I can't get 1066 out of my ram. If I set my memory clock at 1066, I get memory errors but if I lower my setting to just below 1066 the actual clock of the memory will revert to 1040 anyway. These discrepencies are confusing at best, and warrant a BIOS revision.

I have been treating the memory and cpu as seperate subsystems, but following the advise I will look at it as a whole, and try to squeeze a little more out of the system.

My experience with this board is to drive it hotter than stock. Thanks for your advice.

Sure thing, and even a bit more voltage on the SPP/NB will not hurt for stability. Just be sure you have good air movement in the system.

I think the problem has been resolved. I have been testing my current overclock and it is stable under prime95 and memtest86+, but more importantly I am not getting the BSOD anymore. This may or may not be because I am using a chipset driver from the Nvidia site as opposed to the one from Asus.The +.1V on SPP/NB helped to stablize it, perhaps these Nvidia based boards can benifit from a bit more voltage.

My CPU runs stable on stock voltage at 3.8 with a FSB of 1600QDR. I have tried everything I can think of but I can't get 1066 out of my ram. If I set my memory clock at 1066, I get memory errors but if I lower my setting to just below 1066 the actual clock of the memory will revert to 1040 anyway. These discrepencies are confusing at best, and warrant a BIOS revision.

I have been treating the memory and cpu as seperate subsystems, but following the advise I will look at it as a whole, and try to squeeze a little more out of the system.

My experience with this board is to drive it hotter than stock. Thanks for your advice.

I have now raised the SSP/NB voltage a little more.I now have an idea of where this system likes to run, so I should be able to benchmark it within these parameters.

This was my first system build, and my first attempt at overclocking. It appears to be important to identify your components performance parameters when together in one system and be happy with what you can get out of them. For understanding this the advise was invaluable.

Would that everyone caught on so quick. I most certainly didn't. :D:

http://public.slipstreamproductions.net/sc4/deepfry/thumb2.jpg

I now have an idea of where this system likes to run, so I should be able to benchmark it within these parameters.

Archived