Corsair Community

EVGA X58 SLI Memory Issues

kinsei

I am building a new system and was trying to use the EVGA X58 SLI MoBo.

After dealing with random application issues, hard drive hangs, and other things over the first month I finally diagnosed a memory issue.

I have 6 sticks of Corsair Memory. I am able to run MemTest86 on in the first slot individually on all 6 of them successfully. As soon as I add a second memory module, the system reboots ten seconds into testing. Every time. Regardless of which stick.

I have RMAd the first MoBo I bought and received another one that is experiencing the same issue. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and have tried both default BIOS settings and the XMP settings.

EVGA suggests that I try a different brand of memory as my next step in troubleshooting. The Corsair RMA process recommends getting new memory. It would be disappointing to not be able to use this memory after my investment. Especially since it is listed on Corsair's compatibility list for this board.

Any suggestions for other things I can try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

• Corsair Employees

The memory has been validated both in our lab and by EVGA employee, Shamino to work in 3 module kits: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77083&highlight=Shamino

If you have issues where single modules pass Memtest but multiple modules fail, I would suspect the CPU (specifically the memory controller) or the MOBO.

I have RMAd my processor to Intel and will try with the new one. Thanks for the suggestion. I will let you know how it plays out. I would prefer not to buy different memory to test a compatibility issue that shouldn't be happening with these specific parts.

Here's the thing. If, every stick is testing in that working slot to work at the stated speed and timings, then the issue is external to the DRAM. Can you test the DRAM modules in a known working system? Dual and triple chanel are modes controlled by the memory controller (situated on the CPU). As well, control of the slots is still handled by the chipset located on the mainboard. So, if the memory tests out well in another system, and you have RMA'd the board (hopefully you documented the serial of the board because returned hardware has erred these processes before), then the CPU would look to be suspect.

I hope you have not received the same board back because this would really be a chore to find since you will have to bench test (different hardware platform testing) your parts. Testing another set of memory in that board would alleviate your concern with the issue being the memory.

In such a situation, I personally document all serials and return "EVERYTHING", but I have more than one system. I usually also exchange mainboards for other models. My previous ASUS P6T-Deluxe stopped running 3 X 2GB modules and only ran 2 X 2GB modules. Back it went for the Rampage. No issues since. :D:

I have RMAd the first MoBo I bought and received another one that is experiencing the same issue.

I did not realize this until recently but there are two Memtest86 products...

- Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/), last release v3.5, 01/03/09

- Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/), last release V2.11, 12/22/08

Apparently there is an incompatibility problem with Memtest86 3.5 and the Core i7 processor. In the end switching to Memtest86+ 2.11 allowed the test to succeed.

My initial memory test was a true failure, as it was using the MemTest86+ 2.11 bundled on the Ubuntu 8.10 live install CD, but all subsequent tests provided invalid results until the last one.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Archived