Corsair Community

Striker II Extreme and ddr3 RAM

DS-Fallen Angel

After a little research I have found my problem seems to be similar to the ones found searching these forums.

I get system freezes:

Playing high end setting games Left 4 dead (6 hrs of play would result in 1 to 2 freezes but at least 1 almost every time).

Simply leaving the system running nothing but messenger and 10-25 Firefox Tabs.(can freeze after 6-14 hours of use)

Streaming some video (vrey rare)

also at times the system will freeze loading windows but always makes it through POST.

I updated drivers and Bios etc. but it seems a few poeple on this forum have similar issues and have boiled it down to RAM.

and the more I looked at the nubers they posted the More my machines numbers didn't match up to what I was expecting.

Heres the CPU-z Screens

Any help I could get would be greatly apreciated

And I am no Overclocker extrodinair but I can find my way around the BIOS, so be gentle ^_^.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp219/Bap_fp/CPU.jpghttp://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp219/Bap_fp/Mainboard.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp219/Bap_fp/Memory.jpghttp://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp219/Bap_fp/SPD-slot1.jpg

This is only slot 1 but all 4 slots are identicle so I felt no need to post the same pic 3 more times.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp219/Bap_fp/Cache.jpg

not sure if this is even relevent.

Can you list all the settings you have made in your BIOS for the RAM, CPU, and voltages?

I'm running everything on auto, and default out of the box, I haven't made any attempt to overclock or tweak it

the Bios measures the voltages as:

Vcore 1.26V

CPU PLL 1.52v

CPU VTT 1.12v

Memory 1.85v

North Bridge 1.32v

South Brdge 1.5v

DDR3 Termination vaultage 0.91v

the 3.3 rail 3.34v

5 rail 4.91v

12 rail 12.03v

aslo been running memtest86+ for a few hours didnt touch the sticks and it

was on its 3rd pass at 68% when I ended it, 0 errors.

I guess it's not looking like a RAM issue after all. :(:

• 2 weeks later...

T_T i was wrong, still freezing.

best way I can describe the freeze is everything stops the sound has a half second loop and theres a busrt from my hard drive light and then nothing, just gotta hit reset T_T.

contacted BFG about my card running temp and they say its quite normal so its not an overheat in that area and I don't see any other heat build ups.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick in the slot one (first slot closest to the CPU) Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker 

CPU Level Up = Auto
Memory Level Up = Auto
CPU Multiplier = 9
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = UnLinked
FSB (QDR) Frequency = 400 (1600)
Mem (DDR) Frequency = 533 (1066)
LDT Frequency = 5x

Memory Timing Section 

P1 = Auto
P2 = Auto
tCL = 9
tRCD = 9
tRP = 9
tRAS = 24
Command Per Clock = 2T
tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tFAW = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRTP = Auto
tRFC = 80
tREF = Auto

Over Voltage

CPU Voltage = Auto
Loadline Calibration = Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
CPU VTT Voltage = Auto
Memory Voltage + 1.7v
NB Core Voltage = 1.32v
SB Core Voltage = 1.50v
CPU GTL_REF0 Ratio = Auto
CPU GTL_REF1 Ratio = Auto
CPU GTL_REF2 Ratio = Auto
CPU GTL_REF3 Ratio = Auto
DDR3 CHA1 Ref Voltage = Auto
DDR3 CHA2 Ref Voltage = Auto
DDR3 CHB1 Ref Voltage = Auto
DDR3 CHB2 Ref Voltage = Auto

CPU Configuration

CPU Internal Thermal Control = Auto
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Enhanced SpeedStep Tech = Disabled

All CPU Cores = Enabled

Spread Spectrum Control = All to disabled

This will give a light overclock and possibly help the ratio. Shut the system down. Boot to the Memtest CD with that single stick and allow for two full paasses. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot two. Repeat memtest. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it into slot three and repeat memtest. Do the same for the last slot. You have now tested one stick and all four slots. Shut the system down and remove the first stick. Insert the second stick in slot one. Retest. Shut the system down and remove the second stick and insert the third stick in slot one. Repeat Memtest. Do the same with the last stick. You have now tested all four sticks.

Now test for the Dual Channel Mode function of the memory controller. Insert a stick in slot one and three and memtest. Remove the set and insert the second set in slot two and four and memtest.

Finally, insert a stick in slot one and slot three, a stick in slot two and slot four and repeat Memtest. If Stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

I am not an expert (or claim to be one), but I have the exact same board as you. Do as DerekT and RAM GUY asks you, but if you still get problems maybe your NB temps are running a bit high?

Download EVEREST or a similar monitoring program and check what your NB temps are. (Called SPP in EVEREST). My problems arose when temps were coming up to 57-58 degrees celsius. I invested in a fan to blow on the "Fusion Block" and temps maxed out at 54, and I've been freeze free for 2 weeks now.

Just thought that it might help you mate.

Good post. :):

I am not an expert (or claim to be one), but I have the exact same board as you. Do as DerekT and RAM GUY asks you, but if you still get problems maybe your NB temps are running a bit high?

Download EVEREST or a similar monitoring program and check what your NB temps are. (Called SPP in EVEREST). My problems arose when temps were coming up to 57-58 degrees celsius. I invested in a fan to blow on the "Fusion Block" and temps maxed out at 54, and I've been freeze free for 2 weeks now.

• 2 weeks later...

Was there a revision change in the TW3X4G1333C9DHX Modules,

i have try some modules 1 year ago and also the 1600Mhz i have had no luck with these RAM in the Asus Stirker 2 extreme and in MSI P7n2 diamond.

If there is now a new revsion good luck but with the old one i get freezes everytime, sometimes the system run 15 minutes sometimes 12 hours but it freezes ever ..... i have checkt the dominator 1800Mhz this will run without freezing but not 100% stable (only 99%) i have given up this board / cpu / ram combination.. and changed to a core i7... That was my experience.

The ram is good the chipset isn´t....

OK, first off, my freezes during WoW may be unrelated to hardware, as they match almost identicly with the windows error log event 10 malarky thats been happening to many vista users.

For those of you unfamiliar with how to read the event log just hit windows key and type in Event Viewer.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp219/Bap_fp/eventviewer.jpg

But that aside My system still freezes doing little more than idleing on the desk top.

I set up the values DerekT instructed relating to the

tCL = 9
tRCD = 9
tRP = 9
tRAS = 24
Command Per Clock = 2T
tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tFAW = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRTP = Auto
tRFC = 80
tREF = Auto

Memory Voltage + 1.7v
NB Core Voltage = 1.32v
SB Core Voltage = 1.50v

and I have yet to do the ram swapping memtest(spare time is not a luxury I have ATM)

as soon as my OS loaded ( I know I was supposed to test from MEM CD) got a lot of graphic artifacts showing up using the OS.

so I set things back to Auto and my vaultages back up to the previous setting Prior to DerekT's mem test swapping instructions. and the artifacts were gone.

I have not completly eliminated the RAM being an issue (still need to do the swaps), however cje's post made me think to check my NB temp

and with my NB V at 1.5 my MB rates my NB temp at 64 degrees C

and I am now running everets Corprate eddition trial trying to second opinion my NB temp but cannot find it listed anywhere "(Called SPP in EVEREST)" no SSP anywhere >_<.

swithced to ultimate eddition and found it.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp219/Bap_fp/NBtemp.jpg

additionaly how would one go about attatching a fan to my NB on my MB?

Ok mate, you have pm'ed me, but I think it is better that I post here, so that DerekT and RAM GUY can see what I'm saying. (Just incase I am horribly wrong on some aspect).

First thing, for 1.3v, your NB (SPP) temps are quite high. My system ALWAYS blue screens and restarts when it get to around 58-60 degrees. I know this because I creatively hanged an extremely noisy Delta 60mm fan, and kept temps around the 52 mark under load, and the pc worked fine for days. Here is a picture of how I am hanging a 40mm fan on the NB:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8513/img1654u.jpg

Can I clarify this? You are running 2 pairs? I.e. 4 modules? Or 2 modules?

2 pairs = 4 modules, yes.

but I am now confident The RAM is fine.

My NB temp is vastly elevated compared to yours since I have a higher vaultage through it 1.5 instead of 1.3 I figure some form of direct cooling on the NB will resolve my crashing issues, as they are already less frequent as 60% of the crashes were from the event 10 problems which now appear to have been eliminated.

Archived