Corsair Community

620HX Protection Info

Nyck26

Hi! I was wondering if someone could give me some info about what exactly does the protection (Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection as advertised) do on the 620HX PSU. Is it ok to rely only on its capabilities in case of an under-voltage/over-voltage (and other kinds of power problems) situation or it is better to buy an UPS for a better protection? And if this is the case, what UPS would you recommend for this PSU? There was a voltage sag here 10 minutes ago, lights almost went off for about 5 seconds. My computer didn't shut down. The only noticeable effect was that suddenly after this, the hard disk began to work on... something for like 10 seconds. Pretty scary.

• Corsair Employees
If these circuits are tripped by the system then the PSU will power down to prevent damage to the system. A UPS would be a good way to ensure that the power coming into the PSU is clean and consistent. It would also keep the system up during a power outage or a short blip/power surge which could be handy if you are working on some files which need to be saved. We could not recommend a specific backup UPS, but maybe some users can give you some input based on their own experiences.

Hello Nyck26,

I also have a HX620 powering the PC in my Specs. The PC is plugged into an APC Smart-UPS 1000 that provides 1000VA or 680 watts without any issues what so ever.

I have the optional Smart Slot Network Monitoring Card installed into the Smart-UPS which provides additional monitoring and configuration of the UPS.

According to this card, when the PC is under full load it is only using about 50% of the total capacity of the UPS, or about 330 watts which leaves plenty of run time left to shutdown the PC in case of a power outage when the PC is on. The Smart-UPS series are also line interactive, which means they will use the battery to protect the connected equipment in case of an over voltage or under voltage situation.

I hope this helps. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you RAM GUY and CTUEdger for taking the time to answer me. One more thing. What device should I look for if I wanted a UPS without battery, only for protection from power spikes and sags?

Hello Nyck26,

Thank you RAM GUY and CTUEdger for taking the time to answer me. One more thing. What device should I look for if I wanted a UPS without battery, only for protection from power spikes and sags?

You are very welcome.

There is no such device that I am aware of. A UPS uses the battery and it's built in inverter to convert the DC current output of the battery to AC output that the connected devices need. Whenever the sensed input AC voltage drops below a predetermined value set inside the UPS, it uses the battery to boost the AC voltage output. Likewise, whenever the voltage rises higher than a predetermined value set inside the UPS it uses the battery to limit the AC output to with the predefined value. This is the basics of how a line interactive UPS functions. The battery plays a big part of the function of the UPS.

I know the APC Smart-UPS series are expensive, but they also make their Back-UPS series are more economical. One feature I like about the Smart-UPS series is that the AC output is a true sine wave output. Where as the Back-UPS series are stepped approximation of a sine wave. This true sine wave out helps eliminate the buzz or wine some people report when they use Power Factor Correcting (PFC) power supplies like our HX620.

I have used APC Smart-UPS series for a very long time, both at work and to protect my PC's, networking, and storage server devices at home.

The quality of APC UPS products, just like Corsair, is very high.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice. I'm sure that APC is a quality brand but their prices are way too high for what I had in mind... For instance this model APC Smart-UPS, 1000VA/670W, line-interactive costs around 450$ and I bought my PC for ~1500$. I found this UPS (UPS Inform Guard LCD 2000VA) for ~180$ and I'll probably go for it. Here is the manual with more information about it. It looks like the output is a "simulated sine wave like rating voltage, +/- 10%". I don't know whether it's good or bad but I think it should provide a decent protection for my computer. Maybe RAM GUY will tell me if the 620HX is compatible with simulated sine wave UPSs.

Hello Nyck26,

Yes, the UPS you had picked out will work with the HX620 and provide a good amount of on battery run time. Some people report that the power supply can make a buzz or a wine on a simulated sine wave UPS when the AC cuts out and the UPS goes on the battery. However, it will not harm the UPS or the HX620. I have not had this issue because the Smart-UPS is a true sine wave output.

Newegg.com has the Smart-UPS for USD$349. It may, though, still be out of your price range. Newegg.com has other APC UPSs as well.

I hope some of this information helps.

Thanks again CTUEdger for the valuable info. Like I said I don't want anything fancy, just a minimum of protection for my computer. Besides I also plan to upgrade my CPU to a Q9650 and the UPS thing was something unexpected. The truth is that a UPS might have saved my previous computer. I woke up one morning and it smelled like burnt electronics. The PSU was literally melted. I don't want that to happen again so I guess it's time to buy a UPS.

Hello Nyck26,

I woke up one morning and it smelled like burnt electronics. The PSU was literally melted. I don't want that to happen again so I guess it's time to buy a UPS.

A UPS would have most definitely helped in this situation. I believe a UPS is cheap insurance to have for a PC and other computing and networking devices.

The UPS you picked out sounds just fine; go for it. :D:

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Archived