Corsair Community

flash voyager GT 16GB - FLIPPED REMOVABLE BIT...NEED HELP

alankenly

HI, i bought this flash drive 3days ago and have managed to kill it..(i am quiet mad at myself).

anyway i formatted the drive in windows vista and also downloaded a program called bootit.exe and it said "flip removable bit" what ever that means and so i thought yeah if i do that i can partition it and beable to dual boot of it which is what i was intending anyway....to put ophcrack as first o/s with 10gb and rest on back track 3.

i was geussing that there would be a way to change the the "flip removable bit" back but obviously i cant :).

does anyone reading this know how i can change it back, or if i can download firmware for it and repair it somehow.

thanks for ur help

alan

• Corsair Employees

No, you will need to use the software you used and try to undo what it did, if that does not work then we can only replace the drive, but if you do that again it will not be covered under the warranty.

If you still have problems we can get it or them replaced, please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 5 weeks later...
anyway i formatted the drive in windows vista and also downloaded a program called bootit.exe and it said "flip removable bit" what ever that means

Alan,

A much better question (but one that I can guarantee will not get an acceptable response) might be: "Why doesn't Corsair provide it's own utility for flipping the RDB (Removable Data Bit) in order to better serve their customers and make their products more useful?"

If they bother to answer at all, listen carefully through the nonsense and you will hear birds singing in the background:

"Cheep, cheep, cheep ..."

The RDB is just that -- a single bit in a byte of data that is written to your flash drive by the OEM. Flip it from "1" to "0" and presto, Windows will see the drive as as a "local disk" and allow/recognize extended partitions.

I too am the unfortunate owner of a <spit> Corsair flash drive, but never again. The software that you used to attempt the RDB flip probably mentions alternatives, which should tell you something about which OEMs care and which don't. Next time, buy more carefully ... I know I will.

Meantime, there is a driver you can use (requires minor editing) to enable partitioning your drive. It is very simple to use. Details are available here.

Have a great day!

• Corsair Employees

heebyjeeby

Your point is heard and I will talk with our Flash Engineer and see what the issue was but as I remember there was some reason why we did not publish that. Not to mention that it is not supported by Microsoft.

Archived