Corsair Community

Faulty HX 520W?

bremen1874

A couple of days ago my system suddenly switched itself off.

I tried to restart it and found that it failed to POST. All the system did was to sit in a loop with the fans starting up every few seconds.

After investigating the problem I found that the system would boot if I removed all but one of the sticks of memory. As soon as I installed more than one stick of memory the machine failed to boot.

After checking everything I could think of I replaced the HX520W PSU with an old 500W Enermax I had spare and found that it fixed all the problems. I tried again with the Corsair and the problems returned.

I RMA'd the PSU back to the retailer. I have now been informed that they are returning the PSU as no fault could be found in their 'extensive' tests.

I basically don't believe that they have done anything beyond jump starting the PSU with a paperclip or using a consumer level PSU tester which wouldn't have identified the problem.

If the PSU still has the fault when I get it back what should I do?

• Corsair Employees
I would test it in a different system, the HX520 may be detecting a short or a grounding problem with the system, that the other PSU is not. If all else fails then we can replace it for you. You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived