Corsair Community

CMX1024-3500LLPRO x4 Bad Modules

Hello,

This is my first post, and my first time requesting techinical support from Corsair. I have already requested an RMA but the overall process seems very slow (I have read other posts that seems to suggest 24-48 hour timeframes?) My last contact from Corsair was 03/03/2009 at 00:05, which was to ask me for my part number (which should have already been on the RMA)

Anyway my "Tech Support Express Case" is 878645, I'm just wondering if I have requested the RMA correctly and what the normal procedure is around here.

I am in work at the moment so am unable to post any BIOS specific information.

A few weeks ago I had a few problems with my system which a reinstallation seemed to fix. A little while after I reinstalled I started getting blue screens every hour or so (especially if the system was under 'stress' [e.g. gaming while listening to music e.t.c.])

I did some searching and decided to try and let Vista repair it's self, but it couldn't find anything wrong, so I went for the 'Memory' testing option, sadly this option locked up while running. So I decided to try memtest. Straight away this reported a bucket load of faults/errors. So I removed all the memory sticks and tested them one by one [i also tried testing them in different slots]. All of them came back with a lot of faults.

I've managed to get hold of a spair DDR stick I had in the office, it is only 1GB and I do not know where it came from (it's ******** branded), I've tried this in the system and I seem to have a 'slightly' more stable system (it now only blue screens once a day) memtest does show that this stick has faults also, but it only reports 3 or 4 faults, rather than several pages/screens.

Sorry I don't have more system specific information, if there is anything you need I will edited the post with the details.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

If all 4 sticks tested bad, I'd test them in a different system. Also run memtest on that other stick. It's probably not your memory. If 4 sticks actually DID go bad, something damaged them. 2 sticks, let alone 4, just don't go bad at the same time unless something caused it.

• Corsair Employees

I have replied to your case in TSX please use that and log in to see my reply.

But yes I agree with Wired and your RMA request was refused it would be impossible that you have 4 modules fail at the same time.

Ok, Thanks RAMGUY. I have posted some of the BIOS settings (I don't really know what settings you need specifically) My system isn't over clocked and I'm not someone who plays with timings etc.

Hopefully a setting is wrong somewhere :confused: I'm going to have a hunt around for another system while I wait for your reply.

Many thanks for looking at this.

• Corsair Employees

First, on any ASUS motherboard, you need to disable Legacy USB Support in the BIOS during the testing as Memtest has a conflict with this setting.

Please put your complete system specifications into your profile dropdown as requested at registration. This will enable us to assist you more efficiently.

Please list what BIOS version you are using, and all the settings you have made in BIOS for CPU, RAM, and voltages.

Hi,

I'll update my profile now. Should I be posting information both here and on my support ticket? I am slightly confused.

I am going through the settings in BIOS at the moment so will edit this post where and when I find settings (I belive they should be factory defaults?)

Settings:

Legacy USB Support = Disabled

Edits:

Profile is now updated.

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest using either the forum or TSX but not both that will only take resources away from someone else and may slow things down.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR333 and set the memory Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I reset the motherboard to factory defaults (this set most of the settings to the values recommend on the TSX) After this I changed the settings I could find as per the TSX information (I have been unable to find where I specify the voltage)

I tested 2 sticks one at a time, then tested all 4 sticks at once (all tests passed) so I am assuming it was simply a BIOS misconfiguration (strange seen as I hadn't been in there to originally change the values)

My system has yet to blue screen (in a constant 48 hour period) I will look to stress test it over the weekend, I however belive we could probally close this case.

Thank you for your time and input. I am very please with my Corsair products, especially my PSU (little things etc :D)

Archived