Corsair Community

Time to upgrade.

Callandor2k

I am planning on upgrading the system in my specs. I have always loved Corsair memory and have never ran into a bad stick in the 10 years (give or take a few) that I have used them.

Here is my dilemma. I am considering on getting the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 motherboard. As I tend to use memory hungry programs and the availability to upgrade to 16GB is awesome. I only plan on getting 8GB for now and upgrading my processor to the AMD Phenom II X4 940. Unfortunately I cannot find any information either here on forums or in the memory configurator on this motherboard. :[pouts:

According to the QVL listing from Gigabyte they only list....

1GB CORSAIR CM2X1024-9136C5D

1GB CORSAIR CM2X1024-6400C4

and the 1GB CORSAIR CM2X1024-6400C4PRO

from DDR2 800 and up.

I know more will work than what they list. Just don't want to spend money and have them not work well if ya know what I mean.

Can anyone here validate any other memory modules. Preferably 8GB kits (4 x 2GB or 2 x 4GB kits). I would settle on getting 4GB kits (2 x 2GB) if I had to. But due to revision issues and such... I really don't want to get 2 sets with different chips or revision numbers.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

High end DRAM still is a dice throw with Phenom/Phenom II (DDR2 & DDR3). Even more so now that tables for DDR3 have been added. Now > 800Mhz DDR2 are wonky and > 1333Mhz DDR3 are wonky. AMD is not creating new architectures, they are simply adding to the already issue laden hardware.

It is dependent on the quality of the memory controller. Some do with two modules at > 800Mhz, some do not. I have never seen one that makes four modules at full speed. I advise those who are purchasing Phenom and Phenom II to go with the stock high end speed and run with two slots populated, or purchase one bin higher and lower one bin when populating with four slots. Phenom and Phenom II with DDR2 = 800Mhz and Phenom II with DDR3 = 1300Mhz for two slots populated or Phenom and Phenom II with DDR2 = 1066Mhz (Dropped to 800Mhz) and Phenom II with DDR3 = 1600Mhz (Dropped to 1333Mhz).

Are you going with a new system? Are you stuck on AMD?

Archived