Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5D revision?

Tex Baker

TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

1. Can't find the RAM and IC revisions (1.1 & 2.1) in that list.... :confused:

2. Someone have an idea how to run 8GB (5-5-5-15) and 1066 MHz (2 different revisions) stable and with a much better performance than with 800MHz and 4-4-4-12 timings?

(change the nb-core setting.. had no effect)

..using 2 kits of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D (8GB):

With 800MHz and aggressive 4-4-4-12 latency timings the system runs really fast and very stable.

One KIT is revision 1.1 and one KIT is revision 2.1 ..

but... and that is my critic/question about this particular RAM:

I can not run the 8 GB together with 1066 MHz and 5-5-5-15 latency, even not if I change the NB-Core settings a litte bit. The system freeze sometimes, looks unstable and the system-temperatures are very high, also the RAM modules are (for my feeling) cruelly hot with these settings.

I have no problem to run 4 GB with 1066 MHz and 5-5-5-15 latency, but it is really not easy or recommendable in point of my eyes to let 8 GB run with 1066 MHz. Also the performance is much better, running 8 GB with 800 MHz (4-4-4-12).

All in all it is a good and high quality RAM but the performance, running 8GB with 800 MHz and 4-4-4-12 latency is better than 4GB with 1066 MHz and 5-5-5-15 timings-- so..

..if I could turn back the time, I would save some money and buy 8 GB 6400 (800MHz) memory, who is capable to run with 4-4-4-12 timings, because these are the best performing settings with 8 GB for me and 6400 RAM is low priced.

If Iam wrong and someone had some infos for me.. your help is very welcome!!!!

regards.. thx,

Tex

----------

---------------

Hi,

First of all, sorry for my poor englisch! (it's not my first language).

I bought two KITS of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D and just want to ask, if someone could tell me the name of the chip producer for Revision 1.1 & Revision 2.1 ...maybe the optimal voltage for each revision ?

..use the Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H Motherboard and could not run the 8 GB (Rev. 1.1 and 2.1 KITS) with 1066 MHz and 2,1V (..the Gigabyte support team wrote me, that it is not possible to run more than 4 GB Ram with 1066 MHz and yes.. I could run 4GB Ram without any problems with 1066 MHz.. just not 6 or 8 GB).

For now, I choose 4-4-4-12 latency/timings and 800 MHz (8GB). With these settings the system runs well and bizarrely faster than 4GB with 5-5-5-15 timings and 1066 MHz.

Voltage changes (NB, CPU) had no effect and brings no difference, so it looks like Gigabyte is right with their info, that the board could not make more than 4GB Ram run with 1066 MHz !?..

If somebody had some infos about the chip producers for revision 1.1 and 2.1 or any idea how to fix the problem with 8 GB and 1066 MHz.. your welcome!

Thank you very much for your thoughts,

Tex

1. ALL IC Inquiries should only be asked in that thread.

2. Considering that you're mixing version #s / ICs which is never recommended, stability is the best you can ask for. Not to mention that maxing out the memory controller (4 sticks) increases the stress on it, and will usually require a speed drop as well.

1. Sorry..

2. Sadly, I could not get another pair of revision 1.1 modules ..so I had only the choice to take the second 2.1 pair and mix them..

Is it possible that Corsair change my revision 1.1 memory into another pair of revision 2.1 ..

or the 2.1 memory into a pair of 1.1 ?

..thank you for the response and your time.

regards,

T.

• Corsair Employees
Is it possible that Corsair change my revision 1.1 memory into another pair of revision 2.1 ..

or the 2.1 memory into a pair of 1.1 ?

I am sorry but no there is no way we can order by version number and even if they were all the same version I doubt you would get 4 up running at DDR1066.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Well .... I have some infos for people with the same problem out there:

Now.. after much trouble, my system runs perfect with 8 GB and 1066 MHz .. fast timings. THE KEY WAS AND IS TO USE THE SAME VERSION NUMBERS = 2.1 & 2.1 or 1.1 & 1.1! ..

I visit my seller this morning with both of my TWIN2X4096-8500C5D RAM packs (the old one is version 1.1 the new one 2.1).. luckily I kept the wrapping of my first RAM pack, which I bought 3 month ago.

Usually my seller would just exchange me the new bought RAM pack (version 2.1) but certainly he did not have another version1.1 pack... so he thought a few moments and exchanged me for good luck the older memory into new one.

Back at home I assemble my two RAM packs (8GB) into the system (now two packs version 2.1 ;): ) and well... what can I tell you: .. it works excellent now with 1066MHz and tough timings ..without the problems I had before with two of the same ram packs but in different version numbers (1.1 & 2.1 ..didn't work with 1066MHz just with 800MHz).

Not my motherboard was the problem and not my cpu ...it was two different versions of the same Corsair Ram.. same versions = no problems .. different versions = problems if you wanna get what you had paid for = TWIN2X4096-8500C5D and surely not 4096MB Corsair PC2-800 CL4 TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX .

THERE SHOULD BE A WAY FOR CUSTOMERS TO ASK CORSAIR TO EXCHANGE THEIR OLD RAM VERSION IF THEY COULD NOT BUY THESE REVISIONS ANYMORE! ..

My message is clear.. : People don't buy different revisions, even if it is the "same" RAM model with the same name on the package.. it is not for sure! watch out and buy just RAM with same revision.

.. 1.1 & 1.1 ..or 2.1 & 2.1

If you don't have the money for buying two packs at the same time.. save your money and wait till you can buy two of the same revision. Later will get in trouble to find a seller, who have your older revision in-stock.

bye.. Corsair should exchange people older revision if they try to upgrade their system with the same RAM but could not find their revision anymore. thats my point of view!

all in all a great product but Corsair should inform people / customers in a better way about the problem with mixing two revision of the same memory.

cya!

I am sorry but no there is no way we can order by version number and even if they were all the same version I doubt you would get 4 up running at DDR1066.

Not my motherboard was the problem and not my cpu ...it was two different versions of the same Corsair Ram.. same versions = no problems .. different versions = problems if you wanna get what you had paid for = TWIN2X4096-8500C5D and surely not 4096MB Corsair PC2-800 CL4 TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX .
Memory is a PASSIVE DEVICE in a computer. Your motherboard's memory controller is what doesn't like dealing with different ICs. Also, most memory controllers don't run at full speed when running memory in all slots. That's why they state 8 GB, 1066 Mhz and not 8 GB AT 1066 Mhz. Also, Corsair only guarantees the memory how they sell it. If you want 8 GB of memory, get an 8 GB kit.

bye.. Corsair should exchange people older revision if they try to upgrade their system with the same RAM but could not find their revision anymore. thats my point of view!
What would they do with the old memory?

• Corsair Employees

With 4 modules that are not a Quad set I am sorry but there is no way we can promise they will work as they are not tested that way.

Officially as Wired stated with 4 modules that are two twin sets I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 (Depending on the MB and CPU) and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

ut to be sure one is not failing I would test the modules one at a time at their rated settings to be sure one is not failing.

Archived