Corsair Community

HX620 - (6+2) pin PCI-E Connector question

Hellsbells

Hey guys,

Is there any difference between a (6+2) pin PCI-E connector and a 8 pin PCI-E connector?

I want to use my HX620 to power a graphics card which requires a 6 pin and 8 pin PCI-E connector. With the HX620, will I be able to use on of the (6+2) pin connectors as a 6 pin, and the other (6+2) pin as an 8 pin connector, to power this graphics card?

Furthermore, my Lian Li 343B can house 2 PSU's. I have 2 HX620s in my case. Could I use one of the (6+2) pin connectors (as a 6 pin) from one of the HX620s and one of the (6+2) pin connectors (as a 8 pin) from the other HX620, to power the same graphics card mentioned above? I.e. in effect the graphics card will be powered by 2 HX620s, with each PCI-E connector having its own 12V rail.

Thanks guys!

• Corsair Employees
I would NOT suggest using 2 seperate PSUs to power the same GPU. Also, you can use a 6+2 pin connector as an 8 pin. That's the point, it's made to be flexible so it can be used as either type, 6 or 8 (6+2).

• Corsair Employees
That should be fine, you just do not want to plug in two different PSUs to any one hardware device. The voltages are regulated independently and you could cause a short if there are two separate 12v rails connected to your video card for instance.

Is there anyway that I could cause minor/major problems with any of my hardware by using 2 PSU's in the same computer? (Besides the shorting out described above)

What would the effect be if this shorting out did occur? Would it kill my motherboard or GPU?

The reason I am using dual HX-620's is because Im upgrading my computer, and its new power requirement exceeds what the HX-620 can provide. Rather than discard my HX-620 for a HX-1000, I thought that I could just house 2 HX-620s in the same case and make up the new required amount of power this way.

• Corsair Employees
If a single component is getting two different voltages from the same rail, then it will short out, and the system will shut off. If everything is working the way it should be, then nothing will be damaged. Which PSU does our PSU Finder recommend for your system?

• Corsair Employees
It recommends HX-620, TX-650W, TX-750W and TX-850W.

You should be fine with just a single HX620. There is some headroom built into the PSU finder, so I would not suspect you would have any problems.

I am concerned that I will overload a single HX-620. My system will consist of an overclocked quad core, 4 sticks of DDR2 ram and a graphics solution that will use in the vacinity of 250W at load. On top of that I have a water cooling solution consisting of 2 18W pumps, 10 high speed fans, 2 fan controllers, 2 optical drives, 3 hard drives and cathode lighting. I have used what is commonly refered to a reliable PSU calculator to calculate that my system should draw more power than 620W at load.

• 1 month later...

this thread might be a little dated, BUT

here is what i run on a single hx620

e8600 4.4ghz

single gtx 280

4x2gb sticks ram

4 hard drives

2 optical drives

6 120mm fans

1 200mm fan

swiftech mcp655 water pump

2 sticks 12" cold cathode lights