Corsair Community

Northbridge temp question...

I have yet to install any kind of water cooling system yet in my system.

My NB temp sits at around 42 idle and roughly 48 under stress after playing games for 2 hours or so.

Are these temps acceptable, or too high?

What kind of NB temp could I expect if it's watercooled?

As a general rule, you don't want to see northbridge temps 50C or higher. The chip itself will usually withstand quite a bit higher but the components connected to it don't want to see 50C or higher. From your board's manual covering the hardware monitor section of your board's BIOS, page 4-32, this appears to be the case as well. Even though the lowest trip point temp for the northbridge is 70C for emergency shutdown, the board's lowest trip point temp is 50C. Generally, exceeding the lowest trip point temp mentioned in this section of the BIOS shortens the life of the board as it's slow roasted to death so to speak. Water cooling usually will drop temps into the low to mid-30C range, idle vs load.

Link to your board's manual:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=Maximus%20Extreme

I agree with Garvin, but your temps are not in a dangerous range and if you are not going to be overclocking or if you are overclocking, overclocking higher, then I don't see any need to run a loop with the Northbridge unless you want to do so. I doubt it is necessary.

If you are not overclocking, then you might wish to voltage underclock the Northbridge and test for stability.

Thanks Garvin for the reply. Seems I'd best get a good water cooling setup ASAP.

I agree with Garvin, but your temps are not in a dangerous range and if you are not going to be overclocking or if you are overclocking, overclocking higher, then I don't see any need to run a loop with the Northbridge unless you want to do so. I doubt it is necessary.

If you are not overclocking, then you might wish to voltage underclock the Northbridge and test for stability.

Oh no! That's a big relief! :cool:

Why would I want to reduce the voltage of the NB? I assume that would keep things a tad cooler. What would you suggest, .5 increments?

Thanks.

I am overclocking slightly as it happens. My Extreme Tweaker page in the BIOS looks like this (You posted this for me a while back):-

Extreme Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual

OC From CPU Level Up : Auto

CPU Ratio Control : Manual

- Ratio CMOS Setting : 8.5

FSB Frequency : 400

FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333

PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1600

DRAM Command Rate : 2N

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CAS# Latency : 7

RAS# to CAS# Delay : 7

RAS# Precharge : 7

RAS# ActivateTime : 20

RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto

DRAM Voltage : 1.8v

The RAM Command Rate, however, was a choice of 1T or 2T. Not the above 2N. I selected 2T so I hope that won't cause an issue.

On a few occassions, while rebooting, I got a "overclock failed" message come up before I go into the bios and I'm forced to input the Tweaker specs again as above.

I'm using Everest to monitor temps etc.

Strange things is though, although I have a 2.83 quad CPU it shows it like this:-

CPU Clock 2399.9 MHz (original: 2833 MHz)

Why doesn't it show up as 2833?

Memory looks odd too:-

Memory Bus 800.0 MHz

DIMM1: Corsair XMS3 DHX CM3X2G-1600C7DHXIN 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 457 MHz)

DIMM3: Corsair XMS3 DHX CM3X2G-1600C7DHXIN 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 457 MHz)

I'd be very grateful if you could shed some light on this if you wouldn't mind.

With the overclock and high speed memory, I advise to leave it alone. I had thought stock and usual C9.

A new bios update maybe. Set to default, save default and then insert the values. Your clock is lower because of speed step which lowers the multiplier when not being used (idle). 800 MHz memory in CPU-z is 800 X 2 = 1600Mhz (Double Data Rate DDR).

Oh no! That's a big relief! :cool:

Why would I want to reduce the voltage of the NB? I assume that would keep things a tad cooler. What would you suggest, .5 increments?

Thanks.

With the overclock and high speed memory, I advise to leave it alone. I had thought stock and usual C9.

Sorry I'm not too sure as to what you are referring to here. Do you mean I should have left the RAM Command Rate to Auto instead of changing it to 2T?

Not sure what you mean by stock and c9 either :o: sorry.

A new bios update maybe. Set to default, save default and then insert the values. Your clock is lower because of speed step which lowers the multiplier when not being used (idle). 800 MHz memory in CPU-z is 800 X 2 = 1600Mhz (Double Data Rate DDR).

As it happens I have updated the Bios this morning, so I'll see if I get the "overclock failed" message again.

So it'll be okay to insert the above posted setting then?

Thanks again for the help. I'm getting there :D:

Sorry I'm not too sure as to what you are referring to here. Do you mean I should have left the RAM Command Rate to Auto instead of changing it to 2T?

No, I mean that lowering the voltage on the Northbridge is not advised since you are overclocking and running with low latency memory.

Some creative mounting of a fan blowing directly on the NB cooler should help a bit if you don't want to take more exotic cooling measures.

Funny you should mention that Ram Guy. I've been thinking of doing something like this. I have thought about attaching a Noctua fan to a piece of PVC piping running from the front of the case and have the piping finish a couple of cms above the NB.

I did try positioning a Asus Q-fan above the NB, it took the temp down by 5 degrees or so but was too noisey (80mm fan).

How about this. Check out the fan that is blowing on the NB and RAM!

*This is NOT my creation. Found this over at ExtremeSystems!!*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/3oh6/xsforum/max_extreme/first_night-1.jpg

What do you think?

No, I mean that lowering the voltage on the Northbridge is not advised since you are overclocking and running with low latency memory.

Okay, now I understand. Thanks.

Hey everybody,

I apologise for intruding on the subject discussion. But I was wondering, what do you use to monitor voltages and temperature?

I have CPUID, HW Monitor, Speedfan, Everest, Realtemp and the temps/voltage in the bios. But none seem to show items like the northbridge/southbridge voltage and temp, FSB voltage, RAM temp etc.

I was just reading this thread, when I thought I'd might ask the professionals.

Thanks all.

Hey everybody,

I apologise for intruding on the subject discussion. But I was wondering, what do you use to monitor voltages and temperature?

I have CPUID, HW Monitor, Speedfan, Everest, Realtemp and the temps/voltage in the bios. But none seem to show items like the northbridge/southbridge voltage and temp, FSB voltage, RAM temp etc.

I was just reading this thread, when I thought I'd might ask the professionals.

Thanks all.

You should be able to view these values in Everest under Computer, Sensor. (all except RAM temp that is)

I have use version 5.00.1650.

Most motherboards do not show Northbridge temperatures. Just the higher end boards such as yours do.

You should be able to view these values in Everest under Computer, Sensor. (all except RAM temp that is)

I have use version 5.00.1650.

Hmmmm, I thought my system was running nice and stable, until I got a couple of BSODs today in quick succession. Although I haven't had any for the last few hours.

I finally got around to running Memtest86 (3.5)for the first time today.

Memtest starts, then after about 5 seconds the system reboots?? :confused:

I've read this is due the faulty RAM - I hope this is not the case!!!!

I'm using the ame settings that I posted at the top of this thread.

Would it make a difference to try one stick at a time?

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Test your modules singly. Set one to slot 2 and test. Then remove it and set the other to slot 2 and test. Then set one to slot 4 and test. Finally set to slot 2 and slot 4 and retest. Do not use Memtest86 3.5. Use the Memtest86+ 2.11. They are different and 3.5 is not supported via update and 2.11 is.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Test your modules singly. Set one to slot 2 and test. Then remove it and set the other to slot 2 and test. Then set one to slot 4 and test. Finally set to slot 2 and slot 4 and retest. Do not use Memtest86 3.5. Use the Memtest86+ 2.11. They are different and 3.5 is not supported via update and 2.11 is.

Okay thanks Derek. I'll give 2.11 a go.

Should memory always be tested one at a time and never as a pair then?

I'll post results tommorrow.

Test them singly. Then as a pair. If they pass singly, but not as a pair, then very likely you have memory controller issues or the memory is not working as a matched pair. If the CPU-z SPD values are identical for each module, then you have a matched pair.

But I have seen 3.5 give false errors many times and when tested with 2.11 the errors are not there. Be sure to disable USB Legacy Mode for testing as many ASUS boards give a false error with this setting enabled. Re-enable it after the testing.

Okay thanks Derek. I'll give 2.11 a go.

Should memory always be tested one at a time and never as a pair then?

I'll post results tommorrow.

Test them singly. Then as a pair. If they pass singly, but not as a pair, then very likely you have memory controller issues or the memory is not working as a matched pair. If the CPU-z SPD values are identical for each module, then you have a matched pair.

But I have seen 3.5 give false errors many times and when tested with 2.11 the errors are not there. Be sure to disable USB Legacy Mode for testing as many ASUS boards give a false error with this setting enabled. Re-enable it after the testing.

Alright, I tested both sticks with Memtest86+ 2.11 one at a time, then finally both sticks at the same time. I let it run for 7 passes each time, and I happy to say I had a total of 0 errors. The sticks show up with identical info in the SPD page in CPU-z. So there doesn't seem to be a thing wrong with my memory :cool:

Now, in my quest to cool down my NB without the use of watercooling, I have turned and fitted the Noctua CPU heatsink and fan so that it draws in air below the CPU heatsink instead of from the front of the chassis. This way the warm air blows out of the other side up through the roof of my chassis, which has a 220mm fan drawing the air out. (Check out the pic to see what I mean)

I have attached a Ultra Low Niose Adaptor (U.L.N.A),which came with the 2 extra Noctua NF-P12 fans, to slow down the fan to the CPU and the fan on the back of the chassis. This has reduced noise to a quiet little whisper.

CPU temp is still at a sweet 22 degrees, MB ans SB still at 36/37, NB had increased by 1 degree to 44, and the graphics card is still at an acceptable 40/40/44.

As for placing an extra fan as close to the NB as possible, I have decided to place a fan in the space under the DVD drive with a length of pvc piping running towards the NB/memory area. On the end of the pipe I'll fit an angled piece to direct the air flow more towards the target. I will use a Zalman Fan Mate 2 for this fan so that I can boost the fan speed when needed.

The only other alternative would be to somehow "balance" a fan near the NB, but I really can't see how this could be done without too much vibratation etc.

Sorry for the long post......here's a pic of my system. :):

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w350/TKDDarren/P1050341.jpg

Forgot to add that my memory now sits in slots 2 & 4. The CPU heatsink came into contact with the stick in slot one, which probably isn't such a good idea. Hope my system remains stable with this setup.

44C is fine. I was getting a good 57C at full load with LinX on my Rampage Extreme and wasn't worried.

I like to keep the temp down if I'm going to overclock abit further. So far FSB up from 333-400 (20%)

I found a few link on how to remove the heatsinks from the NB and SB.

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080420040329687&board_id=1&model=Striker+II+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I'm not sure if the NB is attached to the heatsink with a epoxy compound, if so I'd need to use heat to soften it up then gently pry it off. If this is the case I really don't think I want to risk ruining the mobo if the chip gets pulled off along with the heatsink! :eek: :eek:

I have heard that some people have had quite a dramatic reduction in temp on the NB by applying some artic silver ceramic compound - 10 degrees or so!

I use a hair dryer to remove such blocks.

I like to keep the temp down if I'm going to overclock abit further. So far FSB up from 333-400 (20%)

I found a few link on how to remove the heatsinks from the NB and SB.

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080420040329687&board_id=1&model=Striker+II+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I'm not sure if the NB is attached to the heatsink with a epoxy compound, if so I'd need to use heat to soften it up then gently pry it off. If this is the case I really don't think I want to risk ruining the mobo if the chip gets pulled off along with the heatsink! :eek: :eek:

I have heard that some people have had quite a dramatic reduction in temp on the NB by applying some artic silver ceramic compound - 10 degrees or so!

Archived