Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C9 on EVGA X58... 12GB unstable, also cannot OC to advertised speed.

Xzeox

Right now 3 of my sticks are sitting on my desk in front of me, the other 3 are in my computer, running at their advertised speed of 1600.

This is the only way I can run my computer with stability (so far.)

Anyways, a few days ago I realized when I booted up - my DDR3 1600 has only been running at 1333mhz.

I've found out that you have to tweak the settings in order to get it to run at full 1600mhz, but I've tried many different configurations, and here were my results:

12GB (6x2gb): Will absolutely NEVER OC to 1600. It never boots and I have yet to find a working configuration.

It has also started locking up when I was just running everything on default 1333mhz! So I have no idea what's going on with that.

10GB (5x2gb): Finicky, sometimes it will boot at 1600, other times it won't. Needless to say it's not stable.

8GB (4x2gb): It manages to boot at 1600, but it locks up.

6GB (3x2gb): Has been the only configuration (so far) that has been stable when OCed to 1600.

So basically, I can only use 6 out of the 12GB at the rams advertised speed of 1600.

(And recently I can't even use 12GB at all, not even at default settings - It locks up after a few hours.)

I've also performed memtest on all of the sticks, 3 at a time. (Since it fails to test while using all 6 for some reason.)

So is there some sort of known compatiblity issue with this Ram? Or is it just faulty but somehow passed the tests?

Are there settings for this configuration that make it work and I'm just overlooking them somehow?

Considering they're only tested / rated / guaranteed / warrantied as they're sold, e.g. ONE pack, and they're meeting that spec, they're doing what they should be. They don't test or guarantee 6 of those modules together. Not to mention that it's more of a limitation of the memory controller.

Well that would explain it... Thank you.

Seriously, that makes perfect sense! I have been trying to figure this out...

That must be why they are completely stable at 6GB, but not any higher.

(I didn't buy the two packs, I had a custom computer built at iBuypower and they must have just stuck two packs in there.)

I'm not sure I understand why all 6 sticks are not stable at 1333 though... I guess the ram just wasn't tested to work at 12GB.

• Corsair Employees
I'm not sure I understand why all 6 sticks are not stable at 1333 though... I guess the ram just wasn't tested to work at 12GB.

Please read AN806 for more information. http://www.corsairmemory.com/appnotes/default.aspx

In this example, the same would apply with 3 modules vs 6 modules.

Many users interpret these specifications too liberally. A motherboard that can overclock to a given speed with 2 modules cannot overclock to that same given speed with 4-up. Again, this is due to the increased electrical load on the north bridge or memory controller and the increased heat that accompanies it. So, many users are disappointed when they add memory and their overclocking capability is reduced. They tend to fault the memory for this limitation when it is actually a physical limitation of the memory controller.

A good analogy representing visualization of the above specifications is a passenger truck. Let‟s assume that the maximum hauling capacity of the truck is 8000 pounds representing 8GB of memory. The top speed of the truck is 106.6 mph representing a memory speed of DDR1066. However, this does not mean that the truck can haul 8000 pounds at 106.6mph. The physical limitations are similar for a memory controller as 8GB and 1066 are both tested maximums for this memory controller. When the memory controller speed is increased for overclocking, it simply cannot manage the same amount of memory at that overclocked speed for proper stable communication with the CPU.

Archived