Corsair Community

Problems getting TR3X6G1600C9 to 1600 on Asus Rampage II Extreme

jez909

I'm having some issues getting my memory to run at the specs advertised by the manufacturer.

I'm trying to get the memory to 1600, I've contacted corsair and Asus and they're both scratching their heads. I've set the bios to the -X.M.S.- which loads an auto profile embedded in the ram which sets my QPI voltage to 1.35, my memory volt to 1.65 and my timings to 9-9-9-24 2n These specs are supposed to be stock for my ram, but the LCD poster always shows "Locked" at the beginning of the post and fails the simple oc. Then I went ahead and tried setting everything in manually and same outcome.

Next I started at "auto" for the two voltages and incrementally raised them both until I got failure on one or the other. No matter what I do my ram is locked at 1066.

Corsair had me take the whole kit out and just use one stick at a time, individually they take the 1600 settings with no problems. I then tested only one stick on each empty slot and noticed the farther away the slot from the CPU the more problems with post failure. Corsair stated this may be an under voltage problem so I borrowed a trusty volt meter and saw that the voltage swinged wildly back and forth never stable, I think this may be due to some setting in the bios with variable voltage to save the CPU in case of thermal overload, so I went through and disabled "CPU Turbo power limit" this still did not help.

I'm hoping this is happening because of a simple power setting that needs to be enabled or disabled. If there is anything else that I need to toggle please feel free to reply or pm me.

I just ordered CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D from newegg

Hopefully this will fix it.

Regards,

Jez909

I was trying to see if the logical voltage matched to actual voltage and it was off, what was being reported in the bios was less than actual memory voltage. be right back, I'm going to try what you said, I hope my proc doesn't fry...

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/si.jpg

It's not even close to the hot zone.

I was trying to see if the logical voltage matched to actual voltage and it was off, what was being reported in the bios was less than actual memory voltage. be right back, I'm going to try what you said, I hope my proc doesn't fry...

I just tried those settings and my system will not kick over, it fails oc everytime and the little LCD poster unit always boots up stating "Locked" as the bios forces me to press F1 or F2.

By the way what is the part # on your memory? I just purchased the dominators to replace this entry level mem I bought I should receive them by tues march 3rd. If that doesn't help then I'll RMA the mobo.

By what information you have given, I would look to replacement of the mainboard. The CPU has the memory controller which controls the speed and channels but the Northbridge still controls the slot streaming and I would RMA the mainboard personally. That RAM will be more than enough. Dominators are just a form factor and a bit higher speed, unless you are purchasing the GT's which have great timings. Those memories you have should give you some very decent throughput.

I have Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1866C9DF

I just tried those settings and my system will not kick over, it fails oc everytime and the little LCD poster unit always boots up stating "Locked" as the bios forces me to press F1 or F2.

By the way what is the part # on your memory? I just purchased the dominators to replace this entry level mem I bought I should receive them by tues march 3rd. If that doesn't help then I'll RMA the mobo.

I installed the new memory and it's doing the same thing... So Asus is sending me a priority replacement, the only problem now is unhooking all my cable management and re-installing the new mainboard, but what a labor of love... heh

Archived