Corsair Community

2 * Twin2X4096-8500C5DF, 1 module possibly bad

Tinface

Hi all,

I have two sets of the 2*2GB memory. After installation on the Asus P5Q Pro I could run them stable with default (mobo) settings at 1066MHz. That is, 1.8V on the RAM and the rest more or less as specified by Corsair.

Less than a month went by and I started getting errors. My first response was to set the BIOS settings to match the memory. This was not enough to fix the issue. Reading this forum I came to the conclusion that the reason was probably the memory controller being unable to keep up with the high speed when running with 4 modules installed. As suggested in several places I could either drop the speed on the memory down to 800MHz or try to up the speed on the memory controller and see if that solved the issue. I gave the latter a shot and got a stable running computer with the FSB at 400MHz and the CPU multiplier at 7.5. Prime95 running for 15 hours without error vouched for this.

After a few weeks, errors again started to show. Lowering the memory speed to 800MHz did not solve the issue. I then ran Memtest86+ for some hours and had one module report errors while the others did not. The first two tests were run with one module at a time. After getting errors on the second module I ran tests with the last two in dual channel. All tests were done with settings matching the memory.

I think I have everything covered and should proceed to RMA one set of memory, unless I missed something?

As I have two sets of the memory and I don't know exactly how they were installed in the first place I am unsure if I got the two sets mixed. Is this a problem? Is there a way of determining which two fit together?

Do I need to return a full set (including the fan?) or just the one module giving errors?

Thanks in advance,

Tinface

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org!

With 4 modules I would suggest DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts over default.

Thank you for the instructions RAM GUY. It will take me a few days to get sorted as I can only run the tests at night and possibly one more during the day.

I will hurry back with the results after I am done.

Yes I did load setup defaults. Is it possible to detect the MB errors you mention could be the cause somehow? Looking at the temps doesn't indicate anything out of the ordinary. My case is quite cool actually due to the 4 12" case fans. Touching the RAM they feel hot but not at all burning hot.

Archived