Corsair Community

Can PSU Power Off With the rest of my machine?

Shrinker

I just completed building my new computer.

When I shut down Windows, everything shuts down except my PSU. The fan continues to run. I have to pull the machine out from under my desk a little, get down on the floor, and switch it off by the rocker switch.

Is there a way to have the PSU shut down with the rest of the machine?

Thanks for your help.

Agreed, update your BIOS, and check to see which shutdown / hibernation you are set to.

As it clearly states at the top of the forum, Corsair was closed for the day when you first posted. To be perfectly clear about the rules:

READ THE RULES.

Everyone is redirected to this thread at least once, whether it's right after their account is created, or when the rules are updated, so no one can say they didn't know. Ignorance is not an excuse. Most of these rules are common sense anyway.

SYSTEM SPECS

Upon registering with this site, you will be asked to enter in your system specs into your profile. You can also go to your UserCP and edit your system specs at any time. When you save these specs to your profile, they will automatically appear in a dropdown above all of your posts, as well as in your public member profile. It is HIGHLY recommended that you do this, as there's a good chance you'll be asked for this information in a thread. Please do NOT post this information in your posts (or signature) if it is already in your profile. An exception to this is when you post about a different system of course.

NO REPEAT POSTS.

If no-one answers your question, bump it (only once every 24 hours) rather than posting it again. Please don't post the same question in every forum. If necessary, a staff member will move it to the appropriate area. If you think you (or someone else) has posted in an incorrect area, please post this in the thread, or PM an administrator for it to be moved, or better yet, hit the Report button to bring it to the attention of the staff. Corsair's hours of operations are at the top of the forum. It is useless to bump a post made after Corsair's business hours if they have not even seen your post yet. Reading the same thing over and over again is the best way to annoy people and the worst way to get answers.

Sorry about the, "lack of following the rules."

I went back to the EVGA forums regarding BIOS configuration and I also looked in to power management Windows configurations.

I am running the latest BIOS for the EVGA X58. I checked the power management settings and also tried them all. It doesn't matter if I shutdown via the power button or use shutdown in Windows. The PSU fan remains on no matter the power down situation.

I also notice that there seems to be power to the MB also.

The EVGA guys are telling me to get a different PSU and try it. It sounds like a wiring issue in the PSU.

What are the suggestions that anybody here might have to offer?

Much appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
How long have you left the PSU running after shutting down the system? I believe our TX750 and HX1000 may still spin for a little while after shut down to make sure everything is cooled off, but I will have to confirm this with PowerGuy to see how long they may actually stay on.

• Corsair Employees
I have tried 4-5 hours. I also read in the manual about the auto sensing feature and thought I would give it a shot but, it didn't work.

If you shut the system down from the BIOS, by holding down the power button on the front of the case do you have the same issue? If so, then there has got to be either a problem with the motherboard, or the PSU. I would try testing the PSU in a different system to be 100% sure, but if thats not an option we can try replacing the unit for you.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Thanks for the reply. If I hold the power button down, everything turns off except the PSU fan and a light on the MB.

If I do switch everything off, including the rocker switch on the back of the PSU and I unplug the power cord from the PSU, everything is truely powered off.

If I plug the power cord in to the PSU, turn the rocker switch on on the PSU, the fan spins up and a indicator light lights up on the motherboard.

I do not have another system that I can try the PSU in. I wishs that I did.

If I do unplug everything from the psu, the fan still runs.

Archived