Corsair Community

I have a problem

Scopey

i recently updated my computers graphics card cause i believe it was a graphics problem.

however this was not the case and i did ran some of the following and came up with and interesting problem: memtest86, prime95 and furtest.

furtest was fine.

prime95 stopped due to error within 5 mins.

i went through and updated everything(even bios) i could and then manually set the ddr timings(5/5/5/15).

this did not fix the problem..

i ran a memtest and i had error so i started to tested individual sticks.

all came back working fine.

i then did 2 sticks and the computer ran fine. as soon i went back to 8gb the problem came back?

any suggestions or should i just stick with 4gb for the moment

i havent test 6gb in diff slots yet... thats tonight's and tomorrow night's test.( as in the 3rd stick being in the the two extra slots)

or is there something i can do with the advanced timing?

or should i be sending in my motherboard for replacement?

Anytime you populate more than two DRAM slots it is advised to lower one full bin. You can try what you want but your memory controller has to drop to a synthetic dual channel mode with three modules. Why not just use four and drop to 800? The differential is very minimal. In memory speed terms, possibly 5%.

• Corsair Employees
In general, 4GB at DDR800 is preferable to 3GB at more than DDR800. Also, your MOBO and your CPU will likely have to run 3 modules in what is called Flex Mode Dual Channel which is not quite as efficient as symmetrical dual channel which is what you get with 2 or 4 modules. Check with Intel for more information on this.

Archived