Corsair Community

Are the TW3X4G1600C9DHX modules compatible with 32bit OS?

imjohn

I am planning on upgrading my memory from 4GB to 8GB (heavy Photoshop user).

I did a search for recommended modules for my MB and Corsair recommended the TW3X4G1600C9DHX module.

However, when I click BUY and go to Newegg one of their reviewers made a statement saying that module will not work on a 32 bit VISTA system. Also they claim that they were told that by Corsair Tech Support.

If they will work, I would like to proceed with my purchase, but I need to make sure.

You already have less than the 4GB on your 32bit OS. You will not see anymore memory if you move from 4GB to 8GB on a 32bit OS. This is not dependent on the memory, this is dependent on the OS.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63681

Let me clarify.

Your computer has many methods in which to use memory. There are memory storage and caches all over the motherboard. These devices contain some of the below method of storage:

* RAM

* ROM

* Cache

* Dynamic RAM

* Static RAM

* Flash memory

* Virtual memory

* Video memory

* BIOS

For example, your sound, video, keyboard, chipset caches, I/O controller (IDE, SATA, etc) caches . . . Now these device with discrete and cache RAM need to have their "Addresses" so that the computer knows where they are in order to query and access them.

You computer also has System Resource Memory. Consider this as an index of addresses that tell the computer where everything is for access as mentioned above. The computer needs to know that a certain boundary of addresses will contain certain functions to perform when commanded.

Memory-mapped devices (such as your video card) will use some of that physical address space, as will the BIOS ROMs. After all the non-memory devices have had their say, there will be less than 4GB of address space available for RAM below the 4GB physical address boundary. Now a 32bit Operating system such as Windows XP 32bit and VISTA 32bit have the ability to access 2^32 bits = 4GB. Now if you have an 8800GTX with 768MB of DRAM, then that memory must be addressed in the space of the 4GB and you lose some of the system dram to the addressing. This continues with all other devices, leaving you with less than the 4GB. Since Windows can address up to 4GB, then with 3GB, there will be the 3 --> 4GB mapping so you should not lose that DRAM with 3GB unless your devices demand it. For example, SLi with 2 X 8800GTX 768MB will certainly take away from the 3GB.

If you had a 2 GB system, then the addressing is done in the discrete video card DRAM.

In your system, the Video card ROM is accessed by the CPU and 1.5GB of DRAM is seen. There is no addressable space since you are at the 4GB plateau level. Thus the CPU reserves 1.5GB of that 4GB. In a 64bit OS, the 4GB is like the 2GB is in a 32bit OS and the CPU just addresses the Video cards discrete DRAM above the 4GB level. On a 64bit OS with 8GB, the Video cards discrete DRAM is addressed above the 8GB.

Archived