Corsair Community

ASUS P4P800S and VS512MB400 Value Select

Larryy48

Hi I could really use some help with his. Was looking at the book for mother board ASUS P4P800S Chipset Intel 848P MCH Said "Double-sided DDR DIMMS with x16 (data buss=16) memory chips are not supported due to chipset limitation." I have Corsair Valueselect Memory VS512MB400 (2 of them). Would this work with the MOBO If you have the time and the answer would also love to know what data buss= 16 is and where I would find this information in memory specs. Thank You Larry

• 5 months later...
Does this work at full speed, if you aren't planning on overclocking your CPU/motherboard? I also have a P4P800S. If not, what's the cheapest memory that won't slow down this particular motherboard? (If it matters, it will have a 3.2 GHz CPU)

Should I be checking for something in particular, or is that just a general disclaimer? (like 'My lawyer makes me say that I am not familiar with the particular attributes of every motherboard ever made.'?) The Asus website says 2 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 2GB PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory and this looks like it fits the bill. (Now I just need to see if I want to stop at 1GB, or go to 2. That would require a larger purchase now, since I'm limited to 2 sticks. :D )

• Corsair Employees
I know of no limitations with this chipset! However, I have not tested this MB personally and as far as I know there are not any limitations, but too be sure I would ask the MB maker if there are! However, according to the [URL=http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800s/overview.htm]MB spec[/URL] this MB is single channel, so I would suggest you use a 1.0 Gig module if you want to use more than 1.0 Gig of memory as it only has 2 memory slots!

Yes, that's what I meant by needing to decide on 1GB or 2GB now, as I was limited to 2 sticks of memory on the board. Ah, you're saying as single channel, I can buy 1 1GB module now, and expand later if I wish (no need to have matching sticks; 2x512MB or 2x1GB). That sounds like a plan! Thanks for the help!

Archived