Corsair Community

over 3gig on 64bit give black out screen

PowerRam

over 3gig on 64bit give black out screen

i cant install more than 3gig on vista 64bit or it will make my monitor blackout once booting. i can install 3gig but not over 3gig.

i have:

two sticks of 2gb corsair dhx pc2 6400 5-5-5-18

two sticks of 1gb corsair dhx pc2 6400 5-5-5-18

two sticks of 512mb transcend stock

i can install any mixture of modules as long a sit is 3gig total. over 3gig, when boot up it get black out screen.

tried:

- installing 1 by 1 to ensure each ram work.. yes all work

- install each sticks at a time, install shut down, install more shut down. till 6gig still black out.

- make no dual channel by put in diff slot.. total 6gig still black out

- download ati driver for 64bit.. still dont help

- install only two sticks of 1gb when installing 64bit.. still black out when total 6gig

- install only two sticks of 2gb still no work

spec:

- acer m5100 desktop

- ati x850xt pci express

- x2 4400+ dual core

- flat screen analog monitor

- machine native is pc2 5300

- vista 64bit sp1

mobo:

f690gmv ver. 2.4

i would like to try increasing ram voltage but acer computer dont sems to let me do it in the bios since i look everywhere and dont see.

I would say that your CPU memory controller will not accept a four DRAM slot population of high end memory, but it might just be a wonky memory controller that will not accept a four DRAM slot population regardless.. I would not use any high end memory with that motherboard as it is OEM and can not supply the proper voltages to the memory.

And as I mentioned, you may have a memory controller that will not accept four slots being populated no matter what. Are you under warranty? If so, test with four JEDEC approved memory modules.

• Corsair Employees

I would agree and running 4 modules in any system can be hit or miss, but we would only officially support 4 up configurations when using our Quad sets of modules which I am sorry to say that system will not support.

I would suggest just using the two two Gig modules for best performance.

I would not use any high end memory with that motherboard as it is OEM and can not supply the proper voltages to the memory.

You need Value Select JEDEC standard memory for that motherboard. No high end memory for that board. Take the modules back and request fully JEDEC compatible for your OEM machine. Let your retail outlet know you have an OEM machine and need JEDEC standard memory.

You need Value Select JEDEC standard memory for that motherboard. No high end memory for that board. Take the modules back and request fully JEDEC compatible for your OEM machine. Let your retail outlet know you have an OEM machine and need JEDEC standard memory.

oh ok. but whats jedec? i type that in ebay and it shows 32mb stick ram.

Jedec is an open industry standard that defines the technology for solid state devices and of which computer memories (and manufacturers) are obligated to conform with.

Your computer needs a "Plug and Play" interface with memory. The vast majority of computers are "OEM" and do not have an ability to manipulate timings and voltages of memory. The JEDEC approved memory strictly applies to the standards for plug and play. They do not have extended abilities in speed and many OEM machines will not accept high end memories for that reason. Corsair sells fully JEDEC standard modules in their Value Select Format.

For example:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145195&Tpk=VS4GBKIT667D2

oh ok. but whats jedec? i type that in ebay and it shows 32mb stick ram.

• 2 weeks later...

so dhx is not jedec aproved module?

i install 6gig of four dhx sticks on windows xp before and it boots up fine but it reads 3.3gig which is normal for xp 32bit.

when i install 6gig of four dhx module on vista 64bit.. it wont boot.

What MB are you using and have you talked to the MB Maker to see if there is a BIOS setting that needs to be enabled for 64 Bit?

nope. it is acer am5100-u5201a. no idea what motherboard it is. please help.

oh i think the motherboard is f690gmv ver. 2.4 as i check long time ago but im not sure it is.. i only assume.

Jedec is an open industry standard that defines the technology for solid state devices and of which computer memories (and manufacturers) are obligated to conform with.

Your computer needs a "Plug and Play" interface with memory. The vast majority of computers are "OEM" and do not have an ability to manipulate timings and voltages of memory. The JEDEC approved memory strictly applies to the standards for plug and play. They do not have extended abilities in speed and many OEM machines will not accept high end memories for that reason. Corsair sells fully JEDEC standard modules in their Value Select Format.

For example:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145195&Tpk=VS4GBKIT667D2

so you mean corsair XMS2 DHX line is not fully jedec but only jedec? and corsair value select line is fully jedec?

i really need a solution cause i really need more than 4gig.. and i cant even install 4gig. only 3gig max.

Actually that part is JEDEC Compliant but your system does not support DDR800 memory natively is the issue.

so both dhx and value select is fully jedec....

yeah i was thinking it could be that the problem is about the native speed too. my system native is pc2 5300 and im using pc2 6400. but then why does it work on vista 32bit and xp 32 bit? i can install all 2x 2gb pc2 6400 dhx and even raise it up to 6gb without booting issues but it read 3.3gig which is normal for 32bit os.

so you still think it is the natively issues? or it could be 64bit bit conflicting with the problem of natively issues.....

• Corsair Employees

Well yes and no!

We are a member of JEDEC and we do build our modules to be compatible with JEDEC however we do not make all of modules to be compatible with the JEDEC reference. But all of our modules are made to our Specifications.

Archived