Corsair Community

VX550 strange fan behaviour

Nickel020

I just set up one of my VX550 PSUs with a a new GB EP45 UD3P board and the PSU's fan is behaving quite strangely.

The first thing I notice that when I initially power up the PC the fan in the PSU doesn't start to turn so I used an Ultimate Boot CD to stat CPU Burn. At first the fan is still not turning, but suddenly it starts to blow at full power, and it has never blown at full power before. It kept blowing at full power until I shut off the PC with the PSU on/off switch. Now when I switch the PSU on again the fan starts blowing without the PC even being on and it's running at around medium speed.

Is this a known issue that's fixable? Or should I RMA the PSU? I guess that something is wrong here since none of my two VX550s has behaved like this before.

Thanks!

The CPU fan can cause the PSU fan to spin when the PC is switched off? Never heard about anything like that...

Anyway, a Noctua fan is connected and all the CPU fan fail and warning stuff is switched off in the BIOS. This also wouldn't explain why the PSU fan didn't spin at all when I booted for the first time and then started spinning when the PC was switched off.

Edit: I just did some more testing. The PSU behaves normally when I connect it to my Asus P5Q-E with an Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme. So it does seem to have something to do with the Gigabyte board. Strangely though, when I connect my second VX550W to the GB EP45 UD3P the PSU fan of that PSU behaves normally, no spinning when the PC is switched off. The fan also doesn't go to full speed when I run CPU Burn-in from the Uultime Boot CD.

Is there any explanation why the two PSUs behave differently? I don't exactly trust the "strange" one to properly control the fan and not do something like turning it off under full load....

• Corsair Employees
I would make sure you have the latest BIOS for the board, load optimized defaults (with the questionable VX550 installed), and see if there is any change. If it still does the same thing, and the other VX550 works normally, then lets get the questionable one replaced! Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived