Corsair Community

how to run 12gb of corsair TR3X6G1600C8D on Rampage II Extreme

caddy

can't figure out how to run it on a i7-920 machine with vista 64bit ultimate. any ideas which bios configuration to use? please post your settings including cpu-v, qpi/dram-v, dram-v and timings! any help is highly appreciated. :idea:

Set QPI DRAM Voltage to 1.6v

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from-->

Enter your BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

AI overclock - Manual
OC from CPU level Up - Auto
OC from Memory level Up - Auto
AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio setting - Auto

CPU Configuration
CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
C1E Support - Disable
Hardware Prefetcher - Enable
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetcher - Enable
Intel Virtualization Tech - Enable
CPU TM Function - Disable
Execute Disable bit - Disabled
Intel HT Technology - Enable
Active Processor Cores - All
A20M - Enable
Intel Speedstep Tech - Enabled
Intel Turbo Mode tech - Disabled
Intel C-STATE tech - Enabled
BCLK Frequency - 133
PCIE Frequency - 100
DRAM Frequency - DDR3 1333MHz
UCLK Frequency - Auto
QPI Frequency - Auto

Dram timing control: 

1st Information 9-9-9-24-x-x-x-x-x-x
DRAM CAS# Latency - 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 24
All the Rest to Auto

EPU II Phase Control - Full Phase
Load-line Calibration - Auto
CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto
Extreme OV - Disabled

Voltages

CPU Voltage - Auto
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI-Dram Voltage - 1.60v

IOH Voltage - Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage - Auto

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.64v
DRAM REF Voltage - Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
PCIE Spectrum - Disabled
CPU Clock Skew - Auto
IOH Slock Skew - Auto

Boot to the memtest CD and test for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post your CPU-z CPU/Memory and SPD tabs in screenshots.

just done as you told, everything to "auto" even the memory timings. but system doesn't even boot...:(:

any more ideas?

thank you for the fast reply guys. i set qpi/dram to 1,6v and dram to 1,65 but same thing again, system power offs after only one second... no chance.

what makes me desperate is the fact that i have already got the system running for a short time at

CPU-v 1,3 (how can it be that i have to raise the cpi-v manually for mem to run?!)

qpi/dram 1,325 (and even lower)

dram 1,51

timings: 8-8-8-24 (as it says on the corsair modules)

experts, i need your support please! :confused:

:::: JUST SAW DEREK INFOS ADDED, will try now...

System powering off is indicative of issues that are external to the memory. Try one stick of memory in slot 2 and repeat with the other two sticks singly. When you have inserted one stick, shut the system down. Press the keyboard insert key (Number pad) and hold it for the entire boot process. If you do not gain a boot, then shut the system down from the power supply and press down the insert key, switch the power supply on and press the power button while still holding the insert key.

You have a northbridge or CPU memory controller issue. You should still gain boot automatically. The system should accept default settings and automatically set to the Intel SPec which it is not doing.

thank you for the fast reply guys. i set qpi/dram to 1,6v and dram to 1,65 but same thing again, system power offs after only one second... no chance.

what makes me desperate is the fact that i have already got the system running for a short time at

CPU-v 1,3 (how can it be that i have to raise the cpi-v manually for mem to run?!)

qpi/dram 1,325 (and even lower)

dram 1,51

timings: 8-8-8-24 (as it says on the corsair modules)

experts, i need your support please! :confused:

thanks derek, i just tested exactly your settings! same issue, system power offs after one second.... again lovering qpi and dram let's the system pass more time before power off..

please explain: i've never heard about the "insert key" method; what is it for?

do you mean leaving the blue slots populated by 2 gb each and trying the first white with each of the other 3 modules?

The insert key method allows you to bypass your BIOS settings. I want to see if you can run 6 up with the default BIOS.

The power off issue happens only with the six modules? If so, you may have a CPU (Memory Controller) that will not accept a six module population. You also may have a Northbridge (Motherboard) that will not set to a six module population.

I want you to test both sets singly. Remove all, insert one in the second slot and test it with Memtest. Remove the module and set to the fourth slot, retest. Remove the module and set to the sixth slot and retest. Repeat with first, third and fifth slots.

This tests all slots singly.

Then test all of the five other modules in the second slot. Then test them as three module solutions (1 Kit at a time).

This tests all modules singly and triple channel.

thanks derek, i just tested exactly your settings! same issue, system power offs after one second.... again lovering qpi and dram let's the system pass more time before power off..

please explain: i've never heard about the "insert key" method; what is it for?

do you mean leaving the blue slots populated by 2 gb each and trying the first white with each of the other 3 modules?

i see, well let me expand my experience from the last days to let you better understand my troubles:

i can run 6 gb TR3X6G1600C8D in all 3 blue slots up to 1600 MhZ

i can run 8 gb TR3X6G1600C8D at all blue and the first white one without issues even with bios defaults and no voltage tweaking.

now comes the mystery: today i got my system to run with whole bunch of 12gb at "strange"

cpu-v: 1,30

qpi/dram: 1,30; 1,312; and 1,318 ...

dram-v: always set to 1,51106

i even passed 20 minutes of 8thread prime95 tests and prevent the famous "cold boot" issue.

BUT the main issue, vista 64 don't like it taking to boot very long until reaching desktop.

i have some pc-understanding but i am definetely not an technician... i am just wondering that you guys suggest the much higher qpi and dram sets which DON'T work for me.

@ derek: when playing around with the 8 gb config i tested each of the 6 corsair modules with success!

....i am getting really frustrated :(:

Insert a single set to the second, fourth and sixth slots. Set to X.M.P. Look at the QPI DRAM voltage and you will see that the XMP sets to 1.6v. This is the tested values for that memory and XMP sets to those values.

Try inserting a single set in the second, fourth and sixth slots. Set to X.M.P. and reboot. Then shut down and insert the second set.

I think you need RMA of the motherboard but be clear. There is NO Support for a six slot solution. These are three module kits and the only guarantee is that they will work as sold, a kit, not two kits.

I am not a Corsair rep or worker. I am a simple member here trying to help you. I will bow out if you wish. Getting frustrated is fine. Getting frustrated in your posting with me will simply have the effect of my leaving your thread to help others who can maintain their composure. This is so I don't get frustrated with you.

i have some pc-understanding but i am definetely not an technician... i am just wondering that you guys suggest the much higher qpi and dram sets which DON'T work for me.

I think you have a bad board or CPU. And I think you need to look to board RMA.

i know, and i highly appreciate any help i get!

i have just did as you said dere. inserted 3 modules only into the white slots: system refuses to start, asus lcd poster states "LOCKED". i tried both sets of 3 each! but as far as i now asus says the you must populate the blue slots first to get the system running... :confused:

Where do I say white slots? I said second, fourth and sixth, which are the blue slots.

I wanted you to test a single stick in slot 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 though, to test all slots in a single module configuration.

What BIOS version are you using?

i know, and i highly appreciate any help i get!

i have just did as you said dere. inserted 3 modules only into the white slots: system refuses to start, asus lcd poster states "LOCKED". i tried both sets of 3 each! but as far as i now asus says the you must populate the blue slots first to get the system running... :confused:

Be patient DerekT, I realize sometimes its hard but remember some of us are not as "with-it" as others. Sometimes its just hard to wrap ones mind around all the possibilities, I know thats my problem at least hehe. Personally I've found most of your postings to be very helpful once I took a deep breath and reread them so as to better digest the info. This guy is the same boat, he's frustrated so he's not understanding as well as he could if he wasn't upset.

sorry, i prescribed meaning the blue ones ofcourse! i tested, all fine loading and booting, no issues at first sight.

just started windows with 8 GB and cpu-v: 1,3v, qpi 1.3v

again: windows takes a very long time (5 to 10 minutes to load) and runs extremely slow overall in response!! :mad: same with 12 GB as i remember.

what i am doing wrong? are there some proven sets for the cpu and maybe cpu-pll?

sure i thought also about RMA it... but already read too much about 12-gb-mem-issues and all the setting tricks. and finally seeing you guys giving outstanding support here - i got this extra motivation to solve this problem by getting more into technical details as i am used to.

@ RamGuy: thx for the reminder! :: hw-profile created

When I said that there is no support for more than single kits, this is what I mean. There is no testing and/or validation of more than single kits. X.M.P. are the proven sets and validations for those kits. (single kits).

However, that being said. I have personally set to 12GB with this same board and after lowering the 1866Mhz to 1600Mhz had no issues with the values given to you other than I set to 1600Mhz and gave you 1333Mhz because I used faster memory than you have.

This is why I recommended an RMA of the board (Before Seeing your 600Watt PSU). If you can not boot at 1066 or 1333 with those six modules then there is an issue that is external to the memory if you have tested both kits at their proper X.M.P. values and found that they perform correctly as kits.

I personally don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think you have either a wonky mainboard northbridge or a CPU memory controller that will not run with stability on a six slot population. (Before Seeing your 600Watt PSU)

Have you fully tested this six slot population in Memtest? Posted CPU-z tabs as priorily requested? Please do so. As well, that's a poor Power Supply for such a setup. I say a minimum 750 Watt GOOD PSU. You may very well have PSU issues. Thanks for posting your hardware components.

what i am doing wrong? are there some proven sets for the cpu and maybe cpu-pll?

This guy is the same boat, he's frustrated so he's not understanding as well as he could if he wasn't upset.

I understand frustration and if you read my prior post you will see that I supported this view. I just bit it off in the bud in case that frustration move from the hardware to me. :p:

Getting frustrated is fine. Getting frustrated in your posting with me will simply have the effect of my leaving your thread to help others who can maintain their composure. This is so I don't get frustrated with you.

Got curious and went looking for a review of his PSU I found a few but had to use Google to translate as my German is real rusty. According to this review at Pc-experience.de it supposedly a decent one but does seem a tad underpowered for his hardware and goals, IMHO.

Is there any chance you know of someone else who has a heftier PSU you could test the MB with just to eliminate the PSU as being an issue thats holding you back Caddy?

i read the same review about the tagan psu, bratboy! and after comparing different units i ended up at this one because of it's stability and reliability proven by pc-experience in a very detailed way as you already seen.

but i never thought 600W shouldn't be enough for my system using only one videocard and a disk... and knowing corsair ram is "low-voltage" at only 1,65v it was a good choice, i thought. so why you guys think it may fail on this "light" configuration?

anyways, i will see to try a more powerful just to get sure... in the meantime i can reply to DEREK__ just tested both sets at 3 modules, 6gb in blue slots separately: xmp-profile didn't work at all, BUT settings posted by legend (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76702) worked for me.

no booting problems. but windows still very slow at loading at responding. :sigh!:

p.s.: derek & bratboy, there really weren't no "frustration-issue" as u may have assumed :o: if this would be the case, i'd rather got to the shop were i have bought my stuff and dropped it for RMA immediately. in other words dealing with this problem with your support prevent's unnecessary frustration-effects ;):

but i never thought 600W shouldn't be enough for my system using only one videocard and a disk... and knowing corsair ram is "low-voltage" at only 1,65v it was a good choice, i thought. so why you guys think it may fail on this "light" configuration?

I had issues with a good 600 Watt PSU and my system. Many are finding that 750 Watts is a minimum.

p.s.: derek & bratboy, there really weren't no "frustration-issue" as u may have assumed :o: if this would be the case, i'd rather got to the shop were i have bought my stuff and dropped it for RMA immediately. in other words dealing with this problem with your support prevent's unnecessary frustration-effects ;):

LOL - Works for me :D:

Its always possible your particular PSU is providing some unstable voltage, just like CPU's individual units can vary. That is why I suggested trying something stronger/different. I have never used your brand of PSU but I personally like Enermax PSU's, I've found them to be of reliable & of good quality and the one time I had a bad unit they were very fast to take care of the problem and replace the unit.

Of course Corsair also makes good PSU's, hehe. I just never tried one myself to give an opinion on em but the reviews I've seem say they are really good too.

Archived