Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2PT and Abit IS7

UserError

I just got this set via RMA, and while it passes the latest version of Memtest86+ on the MSI board in my test/backup system (Which I purchased/assembled to diagnose the problem of the RAM that I RMA'd), it entirely refuses to even post on the IS7, regardless of voltage, timing, or settings. Is there any way I can fix this problem without either throwing more money at it, or RMAing yet again?

I have two Pentium 4 systems hanging around, one has the Abit motherboard, the IS-7, on BIOS version 16, and the other uses a MSI 865PE Neo2-V. The Abit board is the older of the two, and worked wonderfully with a 1 gig PC4000 kit, until that kit died, and the 2 gig kit that I recently RMA'd never seemed to work right with it. The backup system is built entirely of spare parts I've purchased in trying to get the first 2 gig kit to work with my IS-7. I like the Abit board much more than the MSI, it overclocks better, runs a bit faster even at stock speeds, and has a friendlier BIOS. Does one of the later BIOS updates let the memory work better with the motherboard, or will I have to fall back on using the MSI board for my main system?

The Corsair kit is a TWINX2048-3200C2PT G revision 3.1, while the other memory is a pair of OCZ Gold sticks I used prior to getting Corsair RAM. I updated the BIOS, but that seemed to somehow break the graphics card. I think I'm going to revert. Additionally, the no-posting symptoms have started to show up on the MSI equipped system. I haven't changed any settings in the meantime, it locked up once in Windows and then once in memtest, and now, it refuses to post outright.

I was afraid of that. Third round of RMAs is go, I guess.

[EDIT]

I'll poke around in the settings in the morning, see if I can make it work.

Unfortunately, it's starting to sound as if your IS-7 has recently had 3 sets of memory go bad in it. It could be a bad board as that seems to be the most common denominator.

Archived