Corsair Community

Asus A7N8X and CMX512-3200LLPT -- possible bad stick of memory?

Finaldo

This will be a bit of a long-winded post, but I will try to keep it as short as possible: System specs: Asus A7N8X-Deluxe 2 sticks of CMX512-3200LLPT Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb WindowsXP FSB is at 166MHz Rest of the specs are set to Auto/Optimal. I'm not trying to overclock, just trying to run at standard settings and speeds for my hardware. I bought the two sticks of CMX512-3200LLPT at different times, not as a twin pack. All of my games seem to run fine in single channel mode with the first stick I bought. Several months later I bought a second stick so that I could get my system going with dual DDR. After putting in the second stick, Windows seemed to run fine, but all my games would have the same problem: after some short amount of time, the monitor would go blank and report no video signal, but my computer would not be frozen -- in the games I could still hear myself run around if I tried to run around, and fire the weapon when I tried to fire it. This made me think it was a video card problem, but like I said earlier, games work fine in single channel mode. So with that, I downloaded MemTest 86, and tested the first stick, tested fine. Tested again, with both sticks, in dual DDR mode: no errors, but the test took longer (expected that since there's more memory, but shouldn't it take teh same amount of time since the transfer rate is effectively doubled?). Then I take out the first stick, and run ONLY with the second stick of ram. Things seem to run smoothly, but WindowsXP would blue-screen on me a few times, whereas it never did that while using the first stick of ram. Thought maybe that was just coincidence, we all know how stable Windows is. :) Bought Call of Duty, and this game has the same problems as the rest of my games in dual DDR mode, but it happens also when I'm only using one stick of ram. Coincidence as well? Not sure on this one. My friend has COD and the same graphics card I have, he doesn't have any problems -- he is using a different mobo, and a Pentium4 instead of an Athlon -- I think I can rule out the graphics card. Any idea why Call of Duty would have this same problem while not running with the ram in dual DDR mode? Sometimes the VPU Recover will catch the error and save me a reboot, sometimes it won't. The COD problem happens after 15 minutes of play, sometimes after an hour and a half. Called Asus tonight, they wanted me to get new drivers and run more tests. Ran MemTest86 with the first stick of ram, no errors. Ran MemTest86 with the second stick of ram, and noticed 5 errors on the first pass, 3 errors on the second pass. Is this a dead give-away for a stick of bad ram? All the errors are occurring in tests #3 and #4, around the 100mb mark in the second stick of RAM. Just looking for some confirmation on this before I fill out an RMA form... One last question, it boggles my mind: Why wouldn't MemTest86 find any errors while running both sticks of ram in dual DDR mode, and why aren't the same errors found each time I run MemTest86 on the second stick of ram? The problem seems intermitten, pretty weird. I appreciate any help and insight that anyone has to give... Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading!

• Corsair Employees
Please try and set the following settings: CPU Freq: 166 MHz System performance: User Define Dim Voltage: 2.7 Volts Dram frequency: 100% Resulting DRAM Clock: 166 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T Then please test the modules one at a time wuth [url]www.memtest86.com[/url].

Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to go check my settings right now, and run some tests. I will say however that the settings you told me to use are what they currently are set to, I think. The only thing I'm unsure of is the DIMM voltage. MemTest86 takes about 15 minutes to run through once when running in single channel mode with 512mb... Does that sound typical with an Athlon 2800+? Also, MemTest86 reports that the transfer rate of my ram is 703mb/s.

Ran the tests with the settings you requested... Biggest differences were that Active Precharge was set at 5T, I adjusted it to 6T, and DDR reference voltage was 2.6v, I upped it to 2.7v. I am assuming by "Dim voltage" you meant DDR reference voltage... With the settings you suggested, I ended up actually getting more errors than before. The first pass, I got 7 errors. Second pass resulted in 8 errors, and the third (and final) pass resulted in 1 error. Test #3 (in all three passes) in MemTest86 is where most of the errors are occurring. I didn't test the memory in dual channel mode, I didn't think it was necessary -- I think this second stick of ram that I bought is bad. Is there anything else you'd like me to try? If the answer is filling out an RMA form, how long of a turnaround is it usually to have the new ram sent out? Thanks again for the quick responses! I couldn't ask for better technical support!

The memory frequency was set to 100% of the bus frequency like you requested, 166MHz. I have a couple of friends with systems that are new enough to test the ram on, but is this really necessary? One stick of ram runs fine with no errors every pass, the other stick of ram does not. How can this suggest some other problem?

I just went to see Kill Bill 2, and let MemTest86 run the whole time on the "good" stick of ram. It ran for 3 hours, completing 11 passes, with 0 errors. The suspected bad stick of ram gets errors on every pass. I think this is a pretty solid indication that this stick of ram needs to be replaced... If there are any other tests you'd like me to run, let me know. But so far, I'm convinced. :)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='martin_goldmann']did you check each stick in the same slot? I have experienced a problem with my corsair-ram in different slots: each stick worked fine in slot1, each one failed in slot2 & 3 when running them with 200 MHz FSB. Which Version of a7n8x do you own? Martin[/QUOTE] Sorry, my thread notification email wasn't getting through to me for some reason, so I hadn't checked the post here for a few days, as you can see. I did not try them in different slots, no. Both of them were tried in slot 1... I have the 2.0 version of the A7N8X with bios version 1007. I could try the ram in different slots, but I think the real problem is that this second particlar stick of ram is bad -- if I want DualDDR active, one of the sticks has to be in slot 1 anyways, right? :) So with the "good" stick in slot one, the "bad" stick is still bad in slot 3. :)

[quote name='RAM GUY']Let's try replacing your modules. Please follow the link in my signature![/QUOTE] Ram Guy, Quick question ... Would it be faster to send the RAM back to New Egg, or to send the modules directly back to you guys at Corsair?

Archived