Corsair Community

CM3X1024-1333C9DHX ver 3.1 fails for Windows

PaulSharpe

I have the dual CM3X1024-1333C9DHX ver 1.1 in my computer and it works fine.

When I wished to upgrade, I tried using the ver 3.1 (same memory modules just the version is different) and the POST shows, but when it comes to showing windows, it just gives me a blank screen and appears to freeze.

In the BIOS setup, it shows my memory of 4 Gig - good.

When I put in just the ver3.1, I got the same results.

I updated my BIOS to the latest - same results.

I changed the video card to an older video card - same results.

The ver3.1 worked in my other computer matched up with ver3.1 just fine, so I think the memory modules are OK. The other computer has a newer video card.

Do you have suggestions of what to tweak next?

Could there be an issue with Windows and my old video card???

Thank you.

Different versions are not the same memory modules, just the same bandwidth and timings BUT different fabrications. Intel boards are VERY picky when using different versions. What model is your other board? When you run all four DRAM slots you are advised to drop the speed of the memory from 1333Mhz to 1066MHz. What do you mean by this statement? You are unclear. Do not state "Same Results". State what you did and the actual result.

Installed 2 X v1.1 and result

Removed the 2 X v1.1 and installed 2 X v3.1 and result

Installed both 2 X v1.1 and 2 X v3.1 and result

When I put in just the ver3.1, I got the same results.

I updated my BIOS to the latest - same results.

I changed the video card to an older video card - same results.

Thanks for the guidance.

Both of my MBs are the same - DX38BT.

Installed 2 X v1.1 --> works fine

Removed the 2 X v1.1 and installed 2 X v3.1 --> shows POST, but when windows starts up, nothing shows - if freezes on a blank screen.

Installed both 2 X v1.1 and 2 X v3.1 --> shows POST, but when windows starts up, nothing shows - if freezes on a blank screen

Thank you.

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds to drain the capacitors
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Shut the System Down

Insert a single stick of v3.1 and retest. Remove and install the second stick and retest. Try Slot 1 with one at a time and slot 3 with one at a time. Then try slot 2 and slot 4 one at a time.

Results?

Since both motherboards are the same and one board works fine with 3.1 and the other not, it would extend to memory controller issues.

Why not use the 3.1 in the board that works with it? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the guidance.

Both of my MBs are the same - DX38BT.

Installed 2 X v1.1 --> works fine

Removed the 2 X v1.1 and installed 2 X v3.1 --> shows POST, but when windows starts up, nothing shows - if freezes on a blank screen.

Installed both 2 X v1.1 and 2 X v3.1 --> shows POST, but when windows starts up, nothing shows - if freezes on a blank screen

Thank you.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I have tried the following doing a hard reset between per your instructions for the following:

2 X v1.1 --> works fine

2 X v3.1 --> works fine

2 X v1.1 + 2 X v3.1 --> POST shows, starts windows, but windows doesn't display. I know windows is running because when I do a restart, it starts with the window asking if I wish to start in Safe Mode or Normal. After I select a mode, I get a blank screen - I assume windows is running, I just can't see it.

Conclusion: CM3X1024-1333C9DHX modules v1.1 and v3.1 are incompatible with Windows VISTA 64 on the BTX38T MB.

The reason I removed the v3.1 from my other computer was I installed 2 4-Gig modules to give me a total of 6 Gig - it works fine.

With the removed v3.1, I wished to double my memory in my other computer.

Does it look like if I wish 4 Gig on my computer I need to buy addtional modules? Supposedly v3.1?

Unless you have other thoughts, I appreciate your help.

Have a good day.

Archived