Corsair Community

TX 850 Fualty or just Poor Quality ? 12v rail dropping !!!

quality

EDIT BY RAM GUY: This user has resolved his issue and provided the solution for others users in a different thread. Thanks for posting the solution: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=391619&postcount=14

Hi,

today i upgraded my trust worthy 2 year old enermax liberty 500w to the never heard of before corsair TX 850 (i thought they only did memory),i needed more power so i decided to get the TX 850 based on a forum recommendation & because it comes with 5 year warranty.anyway the problem is when i start gaming or any medium level load the +12v rail drops to 11.60 & it moves up & down anything between 11.60 to 11.98 (on idle it was 12.05v) !! very strange i must say & it only reflects on the quality of this corsair brand.my enermax liberty 12v rail is rock solid & never changes no matter what the load is,always a solid 11.92.i dont expect a newcomer to the psu market to be a pro like enermax but i just want to know now are my hardware safe using this rather dodgy psu tx850? is my tx850 12v rail faulty?. please advice. thank you

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Today i received my Multimeter from ebay ( cheap & mini ) & i have tested the 12v Rail & the 5v Rail & Results are As Follow:

12v idle 12.07v to 12.08v

12v under gaming (playing Grid) 12.07v to 12.08v

5v tested & its 5.14v to 5.15v

thanks to specmike for suggesting i use a Multimeter & Sorry again about the whole thing but as they say you live to learn. :)

• Corsair Employees

The first thing to keep in mind in spite of what you have seen in the past, is that software monitoring of voltages is notoriously unreliable. If you are concerned about these fluctuations, you'd need to verify them with equipment designed to measure such things. And, the fluctuations you are seeing are normal and well within the ATX design specifications. This is normal in a PSU and not a sign of an issue.

I'd suggest you check out some independent reviews of our PSUs if you have questions about our designs or quality. While I won't say anything negative about a competing brand, I will say that your TX-850w is a superior unit to the unit you replaced.

i have read reviews as always but only time will tell how truely good the quality of the psu are,to look at nothing about this corsair tx850 made me feel good,built quality is average compared to enermax & cables are shorter.

btw why is the 3.3v oprating @ 3.28 ?? is this ok ?? & my memory @ 2.03v instead os 2.08v with enermax ?? to be honest the enermax volts were almost perfect unlike this corsair tx850 which all volts seems to be less than required & dodgy under medium load never mind full load,i'm really scared to use this psu under full load.

• Corsair Employees

There is no power supply which will constantly stay at 12v, 3.3v and 5v. Voltages will fluctuate gradually and are rarely exact. The memory voltage depends on your motherboards voltage regulation, there is no 2.0v memory voltage rail on any ATX spec PSU.

ATX spec (section 3.2.1) indicates that the rails should be within 5% of their rating, and nothing that you have posted would indicate any possibility of having any PSU problems.

As I mentioned previously software and BIOS voltage readings can be off by quite a bit, the only way to know for sure would be to measure the rails using a digital multimeter. Even if the voltages are exactly what is being indicated by your software, there would still be no reason to worry, because the PSU is well within ATX specifications.

i have always used everest ultimate software & i trust the results because i have used this same software on both enermax & corsair psu's,enermax voltages are rock solid while corsair Voltages will fluctuate like mad.

i have just been playing a game online & the corsair tx850 12v rail dropped as low as 11.60 you can't say this isn't rubbish quality psu,the 2 year old enermax never dropped below 11.92 no matter what the load was.as they say you get what you pay for.

70A on a single unreliable 12v rail with 5 year warranty = corsair.

,to look at nothing about this corsair tx850 made me feel good,built quality is average compared to enermax & cables are shorter.

Unless you have opened up the PSU case, you cannot guage quality simply by looking at the case or judging by the weight. Some say heavier is better but, if I put a hunk of lead into a PSU does that make it better? No. Are the cables too short for your case? If not then it's a moot point and allows easier cable management for better airflow. Corsair FTW.

btw why is the 3.3v oprating @ 3.28 ?? is this ok ?? & my memory @ 2.03v instead os 2.08v

This is less than 1%. And, as RAM GUY noted, your memory voltage is entirely dependent upon the voltage regulation of the MOBO.

Are you actually having any stability issues or, are you basing all of this on software readings? The only way to measure anything you have posted accurately requires the use of specialized gear like an oscilloscope, DMM, etc as seen below.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/power_supply/corsair_tx850w_atx_psu/1

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=126

Since you are basing your comments solely on playing a game and monitoring UNRELIABLE software voltage readings, I'd say your statements carry no weight and are unscientific at best. The unit in general is solid and will outperform your old unit in every aspect. If you believe that your specific PSU is defective, we'll replace it.

Also, there is no reason for the insults here.

Since you are basing your comments solely on playing a game and monitoring UNRELIABLE software voltage readings, I'd say your statements carry no weight and are unscientific at best. The unit in general is solid and will outperform your old unit in every aspect. If you believe that your specific PSU is defective, we'll replace it.

Also, there is no reason for the insults here.

if its UNRELIABLE software then why did it report the enermax voltage as rock solid under normal & full load ?? i dont really understand ? also i dont need to open the psu to see whats inside because all online reviews have those kind of pics,nothing impressive to tell you the trueth or can even be compared to enermax quality & professional finish but i was at least expecting a rock solid 12v rail not a poor voltage performance.

if its UNRELIABLE software then why did it report the enermax voltage as rock solid under normal & full load ?? i dont really understand
That's EXACTLY why it is unreliable. These software monitors often change what they report if you flash the BIOS because the BIOS calibrates the sensors. A person could write BIOS code that would cause a software program to indicate that a PSU is putting out 50,000v or any value they wanted. The reporting can change even if you put in a different CPU, etc.

Also, they are only measuring the voltages AFTER they are regulated by the MOBO based on feedback from sensors on the MOBO. Therefore, any result from software is NOT RELIABLE as you cannot state the source of the variance. That's why good technicians use hardware to test and assess PSUs and not software.

The simple variance between 2 rails on 2 different PSUs can skew what the software monitor will show you. The AC voltage coming into your home can influence all of this also. And, you would likely see different numbers in a software program if you ran the PSU on US 110-120AC vs EU 220-240AC.

And, software monitoring is simply software code. It is revised frequently such as the newest 5.0 version of Everest. So, an older version of Everest may show a different reading on a given MOBO. It could easily show 2 very different readings between 2 different MOBOs using the same PSU for testing.

So, the reasons go on and on and on why software monitoring is NOT reliable for diagnosing PSU issues or assessing quality.

but i was at least expecting a rock solid 12v rail not a poor voltage performance.

Since you have no way of measuring this, I'll ask again. Are you actually having issues with your PSU or only your software?:confused: Nothing you have stated indicates a PSU issue or lack of quality.

ok can you please provide straight forward answer here:

is a drop to 11.60 on the 12v rail bad or not ?

what is lowest acceptable limit in voltage drop on the 12v rail ?

. cheers

See chart 3.2.1 in the link RAM GUY already provided above. 11.60v IF it is an accurate measurement is well within the ATX specification. However, you can't rely on a software reading to give you this voltage.

Since you have no way of measuring this, I'll ask again. Are you actually having issues with your PSU or only your software? Nothing you have stated indicates a PSU issue or lack of quality.
No, nothing you have posted indicates "bad" or that you have a PSU issue.

• Corsair Employees
ok can you please provide straight forward answer here:

is a drop to 11.60 on the 12v rail bad or not ?

what is lowest acceptable limit in voltage drop on the 12v rail ?

. cheers

The 12v rail should remain within 11.4v - 12.6v to remain within the ATX spec.

No, nothing you have posted indicates "bad" or that you have a PSU issue.

i have lost a few fps (frames per second) in my games since changing from enermax liberty 500w to corsair tx850 so i have put it down to the unstable rail voltage.

• Corsair Employees
i have lost a few fps (frames per second) in my games since changing from enermax liberty 500w to corsair tx850 so i have put it down to the unstable rail voltage.

This is not possibly attributable to the PSU and CAN be attributed to software variance. We have offered you a replacement unit if you believe yours is faulty.

Also, I'd like to point out that you have repeatedly violated rule # 9 of our forum rules.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145

NO DISCUSSION OF COMPETITORS:

This forum is here for the express purpose of supporting current and future users of Corsair Memory. Please do not discuss competing products or their suppliers by name on this forum, either in a positive light or a negative one. Such posts or threads will be edited or deleted at our discretion. Please contact the makers of that product for help. As stated above, their names are filtered out from public view.

If you have questions about non-Corsair products that do not compete with Corsair (e.g. operating system, routers, video cards, etc.), please post in the appropriate sub-forums. Start out with the Hardware Related and Software Related (Non Corsair Questions) areas. Note that Corsair employees do not monitor these areas, but they will move posts / threads to them from the Corsair areas if needed. If you see a post in the wrong area, please report it so that it may be moved to the correct location.

This thread has outlived its usefullness and is now closed.

Archived