Corsair Community

DRIVERS - disk.sys / PartMgr.sys - Windows XP SP2

culinarykitchen

I am always looking to always improve the performance of my Corsair non-GT Flash Voyager drives.

Given the variety of non-Corsair formatting tools persistently promoted in this forum, most of which, in my experience, yield results inferior to those achieved with the Windows FORMAT command process, I am looking for a new or updated DRIVER that will run under Windows XP SP2.

Since the MS drivers, disk.sys and PartMgr.sys - version 5.1.2535.0, date back to 07/01/2001 it seems reasonable to assume that there has been at least one update or improvement during the last 7-1/2 years.

Windows XP Device Manager's Hardware Update Wizard searched the MS Windows Update database and the result states that the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

Anyone using a newer or updated DRIVER with your Corsair drive(s) under Windows XP SP2?

Thanks.

CK

The driver comes from Microsoft and the files that will be updated will be USB.inf and or USB.pnf

And I would try and format the drive with the Format utility from the SD-CARD Organization. Then run the test again and see if that helps.

USB.inf is a "Setup Information" file with no known version identified with it, and USB.inf is a "Precompiled Setup Information" file with known version identified with it.

The drivers identified, disk.sys and PartMgr.sys, are indeed the "actual" drivers and are readily identified [Hardware / Device Manager / Disk Drives / Properties / Drivers] in Windows XP SP2.

Perhaps these "actual" drivers, disk.sys and PartMgr.sys, are created when executing the *.inf files you reference, but the same *.inf files that you reference are not, repeat not, the "actual" drivers that run the Corsair Flash Voyager USB drives.

As for your SD-CARD software recommendation, allow me to reiterate culinarykitchen's statement "Given the variety of non-Corsair formatting tools persistently promoted in this forum, most of which, in my experience, yield results inferior to those achieved with the Windows FORMAT command process..."

Got any other suggestions, RAM GUY, that are in context with this forum member's query?

GoingGoingGone

You seem pretty knowledgeable. Perhaps you have a suggestion?

Wish I did specmike, but alas I do not. I merely read the same driver info that exists on my Windows XP SP2 system.

I suspect this driver issue will lead to a dead end. However, given your vast knowledge, numerous posts and obvious generous nature, what is your perspective regarding culinarykitchen's pursuit of an updated driver?

Wish I did specmike, but alas I do not. I merely read the same driver info that exists on my Windows XP SP2 system.

I suspect this driver issue will lead to a dead end. However, given your vast knowledge, numerous posts and obvious generous nature, what is your perspective regarding culinarykitchen's pursuit of an updated driver?

I don't have a clue but then I don't deal with flash much. If it was my system, instead of haunting forums with multiple logins, I'd consult Microsoft since it's supposed to be plug n play and relies on their OS to do so. You are starting to appear schitzophrenic. :cool:

• Corsair Employees
The drivers identified, disk.sys and PartMgr.sys, are indeed the "actual" drivers and are readily identified [Hardware / Device Manager / Disk Drives / Properties / Drivers] in Windows XP SP2.

These are the drivers Windows uses to interface with the Flash Drive or for that fact any type of drive. Other drivers may also be loaded depending on the spevific device like PLFF.sys Prolific Technology or SiRemFil.sys Silicon Image Inc. or Snapman.sys Acronics Driver. All of these are the controllers we use on our flash products and all of the drivers are also included in Windows or installed when the drive is detected.

To have the latest versions of these drivers you only need to make sure you have the latest version of MB/chipset/USB Controller drivers installed. There are no drivers available from us or any one else that will help, they would have to come from Microsoft.

Archived