Corsair Community

Asus p6t6 WS revolution + Dominator

ohhhnick

Please give me any and all input you have to help me resolve this issue as I can't seem to figure it out at all.

Firstly, I currently have 6gb (3x 2gb modules). Bios only sees 4gb installed. (as does windows of course)

Secondly, It is the first spot on the motherboard which seems to not read the memory, as any combination of the three memory would read in the last two spots.

Spots are set up as A2 A1 B2 B1 C2 C1 : Where a1,b1,c1 must be filled first. All memory in any order is detected in b1 and c1 as well as in b2 and c2 but never in a1 or a2.

That being said it almost for sure ruled out the Ram being bad. So after speaking with asus and reading other posts here, I figured it was probably a bad memory controller on the processor. So i ordered a new processor.

Thirdly, the new processor did not resolve the issue, and it is again the same spot (a1,a2) that are not picking up the memory.

Lastly, this would almost guarantee it being a bad board (asus did offer to RMA it) however here is the kicker.

The Kicker:... CPU-Z sees all the memory and identifies the types/speed perfectly, and it notices when the memory is placed in or taken out, or replaced with another type of memory, it picks up all this information, leading me to believe that its not the motherboard (as how else would it be able to get this information).

So if any one has any suggestions, and or links to similar situations and how they resolved it please let me know. Or if i should set timings manually.

Oh and one more note, and main reason why I'm also posting here is, when I use the XMS rated speeds, bios/windows only see 2gb of memory...

I'm at a complete loss, and don't want to RMA any more parts unless they are going to fix the issue.

Thanks in advanced.

I have installed the memory in the second fourth and sixth dimm's.

I have also read the forums you link above, however there where no conclusive results as to if that fixed the problem.

I was just curious if there where any other known issues with compatibility and or certain bios settings that may cause the issue as well. I found it strange that, the person in the forum linked above, had the same memory and exact same problem.

RMA'ing the board is a last resort but I'll do what I must I suppose.

I found the same issue with the P6T Deluxe I purchased. After a few days I lost a slot. I took the board back and bought the R2E. You have set to X.M.P?

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/bios_select.jpg

If you think that the issue may be the memory, then move to different memory. This issue is seen on Gigabyte boards, EVGA boards, MSI boards ASUS boards with many different memories, but try whatever you think might alleviate the issue. The only fix I have seen is RMA of the board. I have no issue anymore and the memory is the same.

http://www.csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9455

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256754-30-only-working

Note that with the second post the person finds it to work sometimes and lose the RAM on other times. This is clearly showing an issue with the Northbridge. The memory controller is integrated on the CPU BUT the Northbridge still controls the DIMM slot streaming. Hence the view that this is an issue of motherboard and why those who RMA (of the board) find that the issue is resolved, with those who do not RMA (of the board) are yet to show any amelioration of the issue.

At any rate, I'll just bow out of this thread now since I really don't have any other help for you. Good luck.

I have installed the memory in the second fourth and sixth dimm's.

I have also read the forums you link above, however there where no conclusive results as to if that fixed the problem.

I was just curious if there where any other known issues with compatibility and or certain bios settings that may cause the issue as well. I found it strange that, the person in the forum linked above, had the same memory and exact same problem.

RMA'ing the board is a last resort but I'll do what I must I suppose.

Thank you for the input, it is much appreciated.

I went ahead and RMA'ed the bored, luckily my board is considered server grade and I get an advanced RMA where they send me their board first.

I'll see how that goes and keep you guys updated as well.

In the mean time I have a new problem with getting the memory to work at 1600 mhz. I'm not sure if it has to do with the current situation but im going to post it anyways.

I'm currently overclock my core i7 920 to 3.675ghz

BCLK: 175

CPU Volatge: 1.35v

Dram Bus 1.64v

QPI voltage 1.35v

Cpu PLL : 1.35v

memory speed currently set to 1050mhz with a fsb/dram ration of 2:6

running at 8 8 8 24 2t

The problem im running is that if i up the memory speed to anything above 1300mhz prime 95 fails within seconds when i include memory in the stress test, but does fine when i don't use memory (so it doesnt seem to be a cpu issue at all)

anything past 1600 mhz, say around 1730 computer will not post at all.

The memory i have is the corsair dominator 1600mhz 3 x 2gb modules. Part number TR3X6G2600C8D G

So I should be able to run these at 1500mhz (my current goal)...

Any ideas as to why I'm having this problem or should i wait till i get the new board before complaining.

Bios is up to date with 0311

Thanks again.

I actually figured it out by tweaking around with some more settings.

For some strange reason, the memory doesn't like running at 1400 mhz, So i just up'ed the BCLK to get the memory in the mid 1500's and it posts and tests fine.

The only range it seems that the memory fails memtest + prime95 is in the 1400mhz range.

BTW i kept the voltages the same, as im pretty scared to fry anything and 1.68 seems really high for DRAM voltage, 1.66 I'd try but don't think id go as high as 1.68 considering all the warnings intel has put out.

But thanks for your input much appreciated.

Archived