Corsair Community

Dell 4600 memory

colada

I am trying to help a friend purchase some additional memory for an older Dell Dimensions 4600. I am not close to them so I had them run cpuid and then email me the html dump.

The cpuid dump has the "rated Bus speed" at 798.1 MHZ. I also checked the configuration on the Dell site using the service code. The configuration has the cpu part number as M5266. A search for that part number indicates it is a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz 800 FSB Processor. It currently has only 256MB PC3200 3-3-3-8.

I have read a lot of posts here and elsewhere concerning this model, the memory and bus speeds. I think ValueSelect VS2GBKIT400C3 will work. It is currently available at Newegg with a very nice rebate.

Can anyone confirm for me this will work. If it was for me I would just buy it a give it a shot but this is for someone else. I hate to have them buy something that won't work.

Thank you!

I did the memory finder thing before I posted. None of results are PC3200 like what is already in there. Also from posts I have read on this site, the memory compatibility changes based on whether the Dell 4600 has 533 or 800 front bus speed. I was thinking those results might be for the 533 front side bus or at least what will work in both. But if the 800 front side bus will take the VS2GBKIT400C3, wouldn't that be better than the results given by the memory finder?

Thanks

My friend installed the VS2GBKIT400C3 into the Dell Dimensions 4600 this morning and is reporting the computer is running much better and faster. It was headed for the recycling center before I suggested adding memory.

I just wanted to say "Thanks for the help."

Archived