Corsair Community

ASUS Rampage II Extreme & TW3X4G1800C8DF kit: Can I upgrade another stick?

Snacko

Hi, Noob here.... :sigh!:

I just built a new pc with help on picking parts from some friends. I think one mistake I made was not getting a 6gb kit of memory for my ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard since it supports 3-channel memory. I am not up on all the new specs nowdays...

I have this in it now:

Corsair Dominator 4GB(2x2GB) SDRAM DDR3 1800 (TW3X4G1800C8DF)

And the Info sheet on this kit says it is a matched pair of 2 x CM3X2G1800C8D. And I am wondering if I should or can just by one more stick of this memory and then speed things up with the 3-channel memory? Or does this stuff have to be bought in 6gig 'kits'?

Also, if I can buy 1 more stick, can I just use the memory fan that came with the 4gb kit on it? Or won't this do a good cooling on 3 sticks?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Snacko:confused:

TW3X4G1800C8DF requires more voltage than is recommended to use for memory on a Core i7 system (max 1.65v).

Additionally, CM3X2G1800C8D is not sold in individual pairs, and Corsair can only guarantee memory how they were bought (e.g. as a kit), so buying an additional stick wouldn't be guaranteed as being compatible with the other sticks.

It's recommended to buy memory that has been tested on the Intel Core i7 platform: http://www.corsair.com/corei7/default.aspx

I'm back with another question about this... :bigeyes:

When I look at the Qualified Vendor's List for the ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard on the ASUS website, it does not list any of the Corsair 1866mhz memory on the list. Why is that? That has been confusing me from the beginning because I try to use that list to find memory that works with my motherboard, but on other sites I read different info about what to use...

Snack

Archived