Corsair Community

M3A78-T and Corsair Dominator

corsairius

I'm on my second set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D which are approved vendor items for my motherboard. I have not gotten those sticks to pass memtestx86. It fails at around 51% on a second test in memtest. Alternate sticks appear to pass the test fine. The Dominator sticks are running at SPD speeds in Auto settings and still failing. Ideas?

thanks!

• Corsair Employees

Keep in mind that you cannot run these modules at AUTO settings. They require 2.1v to run at their rated speeds. And when using Memtest with ASUS motherboards, you must disable Legacy USB Support as Memtest has a conflict with this setting.

Be sure to use the latest version of Memtest: http://www.memtest.org

I am at BIOS 802.

The RAM has been run at 5-5-5-15, at 1066 and voltage from 2.1-2.2. I am simply just trying to get the sticks to pass memtest86. By themselves, they pass memtest86, but in concert they fail pass #2 at around 51%.

Legacy USB Support has been off since the first set was returned.

The sticks will not work together, but a different set of DDR2 at PC2-8000 specs work fine at 800Mhz. These sticks won't even run at 800 Auto or manual settings.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
The problem is memtest. I was using version 3.5 of memtest, but not 2.11 of memtest - plus. So far, no problems, but didn't want cycles wasted on determing my problem. I'll respond when I get clear results or otherwise.

Thanks!

Were you failing in the OS or only in Memtest? If you are only having issues in Memtest, I'd suggest you test the system using the OS to see if you have issues there.

Using version

DDR voltage 2.10

DRAM timing:

CAS 5

TRCD 5

TRP 5

TRAS 15

All other values Auto

Memclock Value: 1067

2T Mode Enabled

USB Legacy Mode disabled

FSB Frequency 200

PCIE Frequency 100

Using AM2+ Phenom II 940 which can only do 1066 in single-channel mode, so the sticks are in Channel Dimm_A1 and Dimm_A2, i.e. not dual-channel.

A lot of errors in Test #2 and then unexpected interrupt.

thanks!

My apologies...

I ran the tests in dual channel at 800 Mhz with Auto settings to verify the RAM with v2.1 of memtest, since I've been incorrectly using v3.5 of memtest. (I thought v3.5 was the latest memtest.)

Afterward, I ran memtest at 1066 speeds with the settings above and received thousands of errors.

I am running the latest BIOS, and it is updated for AM3 45nm cores. The earliest revision for my cpu was 0502 and I'm running 0802.

• Corsair Employees
Were you failing in the OS or only in Memtest? If you are only having issues in Memtest, I'd suggest you test the system using the OS to see if you have issues there.

Other than failing Memtest, what issues are you actually having?

When you ran Memtest at 800 did you run the modules individually or as a pair and did they pass?

When you ran Memtest at 1066 did you run the modules individually or as a pair and did they pass?

I've had some system lockups, which was the reason for running memtest.

The modules ran as a pair at 800 (dual channel at 800), and passed just fine.

Individually, a single stick passed at 1066. The other stick failed with the same settings.

I'm running at 4-4-4-10 T2 800Mhz now, so will leave it there. I'll search on the qualified vendors list for a more appropriate pairing for this motherboard and CPU.

Thanks!

These Phenoms are known to have wonky memory controllers and more can not run at 1066 than can so you may be running around looking for a fix when the issue is not the memories ability to run at 1066.

I've had some system lockups, which was the reason for running memtest.

The modules ran as a pair at 800 (dual channel at 800), and passed just fine.

Individually, a single stick passed at 1066. The other stick failed with the same settings.

I'm running at 4-4-4-10 T2 800Mhz now, so will leave it there. I'll search on the qualified vendors list for a more appropriate pairing for this motherboard and CPU.

Thanks!

As a systems integrator I have seen how both Phenom and Phenom II still have quirky memory controllers. I advise all who decide to go the AMD route (Despite my advice not to) to purchase 800Mhz memory.

As well, my advice to you is to RMA the memory. Clearly this will isolate the memory from the issue. You hare already had two sets and the same issue results but for some reason you do not see this as proof that the memory is isolated from the issue. Perhaps three sets will do this.

Well this is a marginal QVL list part, ie not all speeds/configurations passed. I had seen a reference to the 940's memory controller and how flakey it can be, but haven't seen definitive tests or an authoritative posting regarding the controller.

Archived