Corsair Community

Tw3x4g1800c8df + twin3x2048-1800c7dfin = ?

R1G3LXVII

Hello guys,

I'm trying to get my pc working with the best possible settings for that particular configuration and for that I need some help. I installed the TW3X4G1800C8DF kit in "Channel A" (DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2) and the TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN in "Channel B" (DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2). First thing, is this the correct installation or should I put the sticks (2x2gb) to DIMM_A2 -> DIMM_B2 and the 1x1gb DIMM_A1 -> DIMM_A2 respectively? Note that with the actual configuration the system detects 6gb and the Dual Channel mode is enabled. But the problem is another: the memory seem that won't absolutely work @1800mhz even with 9-9-9-24 @ 1.80v. Seems (obviously) that I need to find a compromise between speed/timings and/or quantity. For example in your opinion, is it better to have 6gb @1350mhz or 4gb @1800mhz? The mem is now running @1350 8-8-8-24 but I'm not satisfied with it, I think I can obtain much more from it, what do you think? I've tried these settings so far:

- 1800mhz 8-8-8-24 1.80/2.00V = doesn't work (hangs on boot)

- 1800mhz 9-9-9-24 1.80/2.00V = same

- 1700mhz 8-8-8-24 1.80V = same

1350mhz 1.80V 8-8-8-24 OK.

How would you manage with this?

Thanks in advance :):

Update

Now I'm running my system with the following settings:

FSB 500x8 (I think going over 500 fsb it's not a good idea)

RAM 1500mhz 8-8-8-24 @2.0V (2x2gb->A2+B2 - 1x1gb->A1+B1) in Dual Channel Symmetric.

32M SuperPI completed successfully. Crysis with 6gb is AMAZING, no more loading pauses and the minimum FPS went up from 5-7 to 25!!! :)

My achievement would be like this: 425 FSB , 1700 memory @ 8-8-8-24 2.0V(or 1.80V) as I'm aware that running it @1800mhz it's quite improbable.

Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Anything over 1600Mhz for those modules when using four of them is very good when you are using modules of identical IC Fabrication. You are not. It's never advised, nor is it supported to mix and match different versions.

As well, the only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits, and these kits are not made in DDR3. Now this does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions (as is yours) will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions, but even then, the kits are sold and supported as kits. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules and do not expect even then that they will work and again no support unless you purchase a quad kit.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) or On CPU (AMD) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. This can result in a damaged memory controller and can result in non working memory slots.

So, for a four DRAM slot population of 1866Mhz DRAM you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 1600Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.3v.

Also, 2v on the DRAM is the maximum supported and warranted. It's more than I would use.

• Corsair Employees
In this specific case, I would suggest that you use the highest FSB + multiplier you can get so that you get the most CPU speed possible. I would not suggest that you tune for a lower CPU speed just to get more memory speed.

Anything over 1600Mhz for those modules when using four of them is very good when you are using modules of identical IC Fabrication. You are not. It's never advised, nor is it supported to mix and match different versions.

As well, the only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits, and these kits are not made in DDR3. Now this does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions (as is yours) will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions, but even then, the kits are sold and supported as kits. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules and do not expect even then that they will work and again no support unless you purchase a quad kit.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) or On CPU (AMD) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. This can result in a damaged memory controller and can result in non working memory slots.

So, for a four DRAM slot population of 1866Mhz DRAM you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 1600Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.3v.

Also, 2v on the DRAM is the maximum supported and warranted. It's more than I would use.

In this specific case, I would suggest that you use the highest FSB + multiplier you can get so that you get the most CPU speed possible. I would not suggest that you tune for a lower CPU speed just to get more memory speed.

Great explanation Derek, thanks. I've tested the 2x2GB sticks singly and together @ 1800 8-8-8-24 1.8V with memtest+ and it didn't show any errors after 3 passes, so we can assume the RAM is ok. Now, seems I can't go past 1500 when using 6GB @ 8-8-8-24 1.80V. These are the configurations I can choose between:

FSB Strap/FSB=Mem Speed

266/450=1353-1803

266/500=1504-2004

333/450=1441-1801

333/500=1601-2002

333/500=1601 would be perfect if only I can get it run stable but I made a BIG mistake when I tried to set the FSB to 520, resulting in my RAID 0 configuration corrupted but fortunately I didn't lose any data and had to recover whole C: from a backup. Phew! That's why now I hate to set any FSB over 450. How would you personally set the whole thing? Should I stick with 2x2GB alone instead? One more thing: Crysis @ 1920x1200 DX10 64bit Very High settings becomes TOTALLY UNPLAYABLE in the final level, when facing the final boss. Even with 4GB! That's insane!:eek:

Let's look at your situation and compare it to mine. I run two machines at home that are gaming machines. One for my son, and one for me.

His = E8500 @ 4.3Ghz 4GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz (7-6-6-18 1T - Active Cooling @ 1.8v). 4870X2 1GB (Overclock makes no difference in FPS) Dell 24" 1920 X 1200

Mine = i7920 @ 3.8Ghz 6GB DDR3 @ 1900Mhz (9-9-924 1T - Active Cooling @ 1.65v). GTX 260 @ 725/1450/2350 Samsung 275T+ 27" 1920 X 1200

Both machines are set to full eye candy and 1600 X 1200. For Crysis, the Core2 machine needs 1600 X 1200 and the i7 can run with 1920 X 1200 but I still set to 1600 X 1200.

I don't think it's the capacity of the memory that makes it totally unplayable. Crysis is not a good engine. Compare it to the more robust Crysis Warhead and the game can be played on both machines with 1920 X 1200 with no problems whatsoever. I think that the original programming for Crysis was not done well. Any other game will run like hell's half acre with either the Core2 or i7.

On gaming machines, I never populate more than one channel. I see no need and at this point in time, I stick with this view. My work machine has 8GB of 8500C5 (E8400 @ 4.0Ghz with 500 X 8) @ 1000Mhz of 5-5-5-15 2T. It doesn't need the memory to run superfast for virtualization.

For your machine 333/500=1601 is kickass if you can find stability and yes, I would drop to 4GB personally.

How would you personally set the whole thing? Should I stick with 2x2GB alone instead? One more thing: Crysis @ 1920x1200 DX10 64bit Very High settings becomes TOTALLY UNPLAYABLE in the final level, when facing the final boss. Even with 4GB! That's insane!:eek:

Let's look at your situation and compare it to mine. I run two machines at home that are gaming machines. One for my son, and one for me.

His = E8500 @ 4.3Ghz 4GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz (7-6-6-18 1T - Active Cooling @ 1.8v). 4870X2 1GB (Overclock makes no difference in FPS) Dell 24" 1920 X 1200

Mine = i7920 @ 3.8Ghz 6GB DDR3 @ 1900Mhz (9-9-924 1T - Active Cooling @ 1.65v). GTX 260 @ 725/1450/2350 Samsung 275T+ 27" 1920 X 1200

Both machines are set to full eye candy and 1600 X 1200. For Crysis, the Core2 machine needs 1600 X 1200 and the i7 can run with 1920 X 1200 but I still set to 1600 X 1200.

I don't think it's the capacity of the memory that makes it totally unplayable. Crysis is not a good engine. Compare it to the more robust Crysis Warhead and the game can be played on both machines with 1920 X 1200 with no problems whatsoever. I think that the original programming for Crysis was not done well. Any other game will run like hell's half acre with either the Core2 or i7.

On gaming machines, I never populate more than one channel. I see no need and at this point in time, I stick with this view. My work machine has 8GB of 8500C5 (E8400 @ 4.0Ghz with 500 X 8) @ 1000Mhz of 5-5-5-15 2T. It doesn't need the memory to run superfast for virtualization.

For your machine 333/500=1601 is kickass if you can find stability and yes, I would drop to 4GB personally.

Yeah, I agree about Crysis being not as good optimized as Warhead. I followed your advice and now I'm using "only" 4GB @ 1800MHz 8-8-8-24 1.8V and, of course, without any issue. I'll stick with this as long as I'll get an i7 w/ 12GB (Corsair of course).

Thanks for your help. :):

Sure thing. Have fun :) I'm playing F.E.A.R. 2 at the moment. Again, you will very likely need to buy 1800Mhz memory to make 1600Mhz on 12GB with an i7.

Yeah, I agree about Crysis being not as good optimized as Warhead. I followed your advice and now I'm using "only" 4GB @ 1800MHz 8-8-8-24 1.8V and, of course, without any issue. I'll stick with this as long as I'll get an i7 w/ 12GB (Corsair of course).

Thanks for your help. :):

Archived