Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D v2.1 not compatible with v4.1

tog83

Hello everyone,

Yes I'm just another annoying newb!

I purchased a set of Corsair DDR2 2GB TWIN2X2048-8500C5D (v2.1) from my local retailer about 6 months ago and i broke one of the 2 dimms right out of the box:mad:, so for the time being i was stuck with 1GB of RAM . Eventially i went out to buy another set of the "same" RAM only to realise that it is v4.1 now. My pc wouldn't post. Now i understand that it is because of the revisions but i was kinda hoping if there is any way to bypass this or do i have to bite the bullet and throw out the 1GB dimm thats v2.1

p.s according to the heat sinks they both run at 2.1v

• Corsair Employees

Unfortunately, you may simply have a combination of modules that will not work together. Do you have the latest BIOS loaded?

Just for testing, I'd suggest you try using the single rev 2.1 module and a single rev 4.1 module and see if they will run in dual channel with this mixture. Clear the BIOS, use a single module, either rev is fine, and set the timings and voltage manually. Then power off and add the second module and see what happens.

Try what RAM GUY advises. If you gain boot, then be advised that anything over 800Mhz when using four of them is very good even when you are using modules of identical IC Fabrication. You are not. It's never advised, nor is it supported to mix and match different versions. Ever!

As well, the only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. Now this does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions (as is yours) will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions, but even then, the kits are sold and supported as kits. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules and do not expect even then that they will work and again no support unless you purchase a quad kit.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) or On CPU (AMD) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. This can result in a damaged memory controller and can result in non working memory slots.

So, for a four DRAM slot population of 1066Mhz DRAM you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.3v.

For example, with your mainboard:

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of v2.1. Restart. Enter the BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before. Enter these values:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9.5x
Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: +0.5
CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.163GHz

Clock Chip Control
Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control: Disabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) : 333Mhz
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): 100

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
CPU Clock Drive: Auto
PCI Express Clock Drive: Auto
CPU Clock Skew (ps): Auto
MCH Clock Skew (ps): Auto

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance: STANDARD
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch: 333
System Memory Multiplier: 2.4B
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 800
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15

Advanced Timing Control
tRRD: Auto
tWTR: Auto
tWR: Auto
tRFC: Auto
tRTP: Auto
Command Rate (CMD): Auto

Channel A
Static tRead Value.........................:10
tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto

Channel B
Static tRead Value.........................:10
tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto

Motherboard Voltage Control
CPU
CPU Vcore: Auto
CPU Termination: Auto
CPU PLL: Auto
CPU Reference: Auto
CPU Reference2: Auto

MCH/ICH
MCH Core: Auto
MCH Reference: Auto
MCH/DRAM Ref: Auto
ICH I/O: Auto
ICH Core: Auto

DRAM
DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
DRAM Termination: Auto
Channel A Reference: Auto
Channel B Reference: Auto

Advanced Settings
Limit CPUID Max. to 3: Disabled
No-Execute Memory Protect: Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Enabled
C2/C2E State Support: Disabled
x C4/C4E State Support: Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2): Enabled]
CPU EIST Function........: Enabled

Shut down the System. Insert the second stick of 2.1 in the third slot. Boot to the Memtest CD and run Memtest for two full passes. If you are stable, then insert a stick of the 4.1 in the second and fourth sots. Boot again to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

Ok, thanks for the response guys

Before i start suffing around with all these settings tell me this, if I somehow get these dimms to work together at 3Gb @ 800Mhz will it really improve performance compared to just having the 2gb @ 1066Mhz because im not really a professional o/c man. I got these parts for good performance but i'm not picky about two tenths of a second faster.

And by the way checking M.I.T's specs for both revisions, they are identical, yet no combination of either will work. At the moment I just have the 2 newer ones in better than just 1Gb of the old one

Since you are running with a 32bit OS, the difference is very minimal. Likely 3 - 5% at the most and probably less.

They might well be incompatible. There is, as I said, no guarantee of compatiblity with different versions of the same model.

Ok, thanks for the response guys

Before i start suffing around with all these settings tell me this, if I somehow get these dimms to work together at 3Gb @ 800Mhz will it really improve performance compared to just having the 2gb @ 1066Mhz because im not really a professional o/c man. I got these parts for good performance but i'm not picky about two tenths of a second faster.

And by the way checking M.I.T's specs for both revisions, they are identical, yet no combination of either will work. At the moment I just have the 2 newer ones in better than just 1Gb of the old one

Archived