Corsair Community

DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 vs 8-8-8-24?

Mike89

Got my 920 up and running on the Asus P6T (not Deluxe) with 3 1 gig sticks of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600. I'm at 3.5 gig, 1.25 cpu voltage, 1.25 QPI/Dram voltage, 1.64 memory voltage (if I try to set 1.65, it changes to 1.66), everything else at auto or default. The ram is currently running at 700 mhz at 9-9-9-24. System is very stable with good temps and I consider this a decent overclock (not uber but decent, those 4 ghz guys are way braver than me and I don't want to fry my cpu anytime soon). 700 mhz is the closest I can get to 800 with this overclock. If I set the next highest setting in BIOS, it will shoot the memory over 800.

My question is it recommended I leave these memory timings as is or try for 8-8-8-24? Is there going to be a performance difference in doing that? And, if so, would it be recommended I up the QPI/Dram voltage to something like 1.3 volts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
Would it be faster to go 8-8-8-24 2T or 9-9-9-24 1T?

It's probably about the same but, command rate typically only improves memory bandwidth in sythetic benchmarks. In real world usage, you will not be able to see the difference between 1T and 2T.

Test each for yourself and compare.

Archived