Corsair Community

dominator airflow making horrible noise

sumotori

My less than 2 weeks old dominator airflow fan started to make horrible noise. It was almost silent and I was really pleased with the purchase until this morning when I switched my pc on all of a sudden I started to hear small wood cutting noise coming from the fan. I thought ok maybe something got caught but taking off the fan to have close inspection revealed nothing suspicious. To me looks like fan mechanism itself kind of got out of balance somehow and making horrid noise. So what should I do now:(? Is there anything I can do to fix it by myself? Thanks

these things must not be very good, mine went bad also. middle fan started making noise. wish i could swap it for the new dual fan setup but not sure if mounting is the same size?

i need ram guy to give me a ticket number also, sumotori will probably have to send it back too?

Yesterday, in frustration, I took the fan out and shook it vigorously for a few times and that magically stopped the noise somehow. It went all ok after that but then this morning the noise came back again but it seemed to have stopped after an hour or so after I switched my pc on. Hmm I have no clue what's going on. It seems there are 2 types of noises coming from this fan, one noise is like jigsaw cutting through wood type of sound and other is like very high pitched whine which I first thought was generated by my graphic card but it turned out it's also coming out of this fan(I disconnected 3pin power cable on the fan while pc is running and the noise seemed to have stopped) So is this normal for this fan to have such annoying noises? I'm really dissapointed if it is. What other people do about it? Would slowing down fan speed with fan controller help much? How old is your fan Northerner? Was your fan running quiet before the noise developed?

Well based on my experience with fan's in general, not the airflow in particular, a chopping sound, sounds like the fan blades might be hitting something which probably isn't good. ie: the fan isn't sitting level

A Whining noise is something that I equate to a ball bearings or a binding issue.

Mind you tho that this opinion is based on my experiences with other types of fans in general and it might be something totally different with the ones used for memory cooling.

Either way I'd definitly see about trying to get your unit RMA'd

Did you buy it separately or was it part of a kit? If it was a separate purchase and you've only had it a few week then the reseller would be your first/best shot to RMA for an exchange. If it came as part of a kit then you may need to go thru Corsair. Please don't take my words as expert opinion as I'm really kind of shooting in the dark as to the actual issue.

Ramguy probably would be able to advise you much better than me tho

I bought it seperately but I haven't had much luck with this retailer that I've got the fan from. Return took weeks to complete last time I got a faulty monitor from them. So I'd rather communicate directly with Corsair if possible.

Ah so it's Netherlands I have to send this fan back to? That's a long way to go. I don't know, if shipping costs more than it's worth I think I just give up using it. Too much hassle for a memory fan. Never thought it would end up this way. I was really looking forward to overclock my memory but looks like it would never happen. Solely dissapointed with this product. Thanks to both of you anyway.

Well if its going to be real pain to exchange and you plan to just write it off you might just see if anyone is carrying the newer fan unit near you. Its actually designed to cover all 6 slots, uses 2 fans instead of 3 and the new ones Model number is CMXAF2.

I know both the Candian online store NCIX is selling it $39 CAD

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=36390&vpn=CMXAF2&manufacture=Corsair

and their US counterpart NCIXUS has it at $ 26 USD

http://www.ncixus.com/products/36390/CMXAF2/Corsair/

I did a quicky search for "CMXAF2 UK" and found some listings in germany at least

http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/a404226.html

Thanks, I'm running 4 sticks of XMS2 rams. Actually I quite like the look of CMXAF2 that you recommended and to me also 2 fans sounds lot better than 3 as there's one less fan to worry about. Is it possible if I return my current CMXAF1 and pay for the difference and get this CMXAF2 instead? Am I asking too much? What do you say Corsair?

Does the place you got your CMXAF1 from carry the AF2? They might do a swap for you then. I think corsair would tend to say they will only replace for a like item. Right now they don't even offer either the AF1 or AF2 separately at their online store, just as part of a memory kit.

Then again who knows what Corsair might say, I don't work for them. All I do know is Corsair has proven to be a very decent company, at least to me, as far as taking care of a 16g USB drive I had to RMA - so it can't hurt to ask em.

Hey thanks again for your inputs, you two have been helpful and I really appreciate that. So I looked up internet for the potage to Holland and it looks like it isn't as bad as I thought it would be so I decided to send my fan back to your Holland depertment for a replacement if possible. Could you kindly issue RMA number now? Cheers.

• Corsair Employees

The part number would be CMXAF1 for the three fan memory fan kit and I would suggest we get them or it replaced. And you will select that you have spoke to Ram Guy and use the post ID fromt he top of your first post in this thread.

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

yeah, the fan was quiet and then one day about a month ago when i started the machine it made noise, i would tap the side panel and the noise would go away. it was just each time i started it, it would make noise and the past week it wouldnt stop so i took it out.

sure wish it could be exchanged for the two fan setup that is out now? two larger fans is probably better then three small fans. i just feel the smaller the stuff, the more problems that can occur?

i will have to setup an rma so if an admin can give me a reference # or something?

thanks

• 1 month later...
Well based on my experience with fan's in general, not the airflow in particular, a chopping sound, sounds like the fan blades might be hitting something which probably isn't good. ie: the fan isn't sitting level

A Whining noise is something that I equate to a ball bearings or a binding issue.

Mind you tho that this opinion is based on my experiences with other types of fans in general and it might be something totally different with the ones used for memory cooling.

Either way I'd definitly see about trying to get your unit RMA'd

Your likely right about bearing noise. Diagnosing sounds over the internet is one of those things...

But if the sound is the same as my 1 month old Airflow fan is making at cold start-up, I supect it is too much clearance between the shaft and the bushing on the output end of the fan motor. It doesn't really suprise me though. I've seen this happen on several electric motors, but I believe this one is the smallest so far. .001" can make a big difference on something this small. The small electric motors we use where I work with clearances this close cost way more than I paid for my Corsair parts. :):

Archived