Corsair Community

TR3X6G2000C8GTF and Gigabyte Extreme?

I'm interested in two 6 GB sets of TR3X6G2000C8GTF for 12 GB usage on a Gigabyte Extream, using a i7 Core 965 chip.

Want to run them at 2000MHz for 247 use, can this be done?

I've been recommend that 2000MHz might be too much for 12 GB so would have to drop down to 1800MHz instead.

Well my 2 sets showed up today but as my P6T Deluxe V2 needed to be RMA's due to one of the SATA connectors being slightly damaged I'm having to wait a fe more days before I get to test em. I tried real hard to not even peek into the box but just couldn't help myself and they look so dang sexy.:bigeyes::D::bigeyes:

LOL

I'ma going to paint mine red. :D:

Well my 2 sets showed up today but as my P6T Deluxe V2 needed to be RMA's due to one of the SATA connectors being slightly damaged I'm having to wait a fe more days before I get to test em. I tried real hard to not even peek into the box but just couldn't help myself and they look so dang sexy.:bigeyes::D::bigeyes:

Sorry for digressing but I think Legend answered the question in post 2 more or less. They have managed to run or test 12gigs of the C9, which has a slightly higher timing 7-8-7-20, thus far successfully but they had to reduce the timing and run them at 1600 spd.

As Ramguy told me in another thread when it comes to running 12g's its going to depend on the ability of the mem controller on your CPU more than anything else. So there is no real way to know without actually trying for yourself.

As I see it we have 2 options available:

1. Go with 6 gig's, which they guarantee will run at 2000 and be happy. It seems no one wants to promise 12g ability and in fact all the MB manuals I've looked at so far say when you get into that kind of speed they won't promise anything above 3 sticks either as its beyond the Intel spec and companies wont consider it a valid MB RMA issue.

or

2. Get 12, first make sure 6 (3x2) will run right on your board. If that works then add the other 3 and try. If they fail set to 1600, test and if successful then up the speed some and test again, Lather Rinse Repeat till you find your controllers limit.

From what I can tell neither Corsair, Intel, Gigabyte, or Asus even will promise anything beyond 6 gigs, at least for now. Personally I'm going to give option 2 a try but realize its a risk no one can give a solid answer about

I do know that Ramguy has said if we try for 12g and have problems to post here and he will try to help at least.

As far as help from Gigabyte, don't count on any, I've already been in contact with them on the issue and they are really sticking to the line of you can only use 3 sticks at that speed.

(See Derek & Ramguy, I am learning hehe)

Thank you bratboy.

Hmm, I kinda knew this was going to be the answer, wish it wasn't true.

The CPU am going to be using is the i7 965 XE so it should have a really good chance I would hope at running them speeds and cas.

Ah so confused, I really want 12 GB, my PC is meant to be overkill on everything, doesn't seem right to only have 6 GB.

Ah well, thank you again.

I'm really new at this too but am in the exact same boat and will even be using the exact same CPU, only diff is my MB will be the P6T Deluxe V2 board. Its just I've asked about this in so many ways and always gotten the info I posted as a response that its finally sunk in to my slow brain, hehe.

I'd love to see corsair do some testing and reporting on more than 6 gig's myself but I think part of it is they don't want to say they got it to work and then when it doesn't for others be blamed for giving bad info or people trying to RMA memory over and over to get that one combination of sets that works.

Its always possible that with new bios updates the chances of being able to run larger amounts of memory at that speed will improve.

This is the reasoning because it depends on the memory controller's ability to run with 12GB at the full 2000Mhz, and so testing such configurations will not be to any companies benefit. They test and find it working on this CPU and you read the testing, purchase the 12GB and it doesn't work on yours. Then comes the whining. :D: This is why the only memory that Corsair supports is one, two and three module configurations. There are still some of the four module quad configuration products, but I think Corsair saw the error of doing even this because validated quad sets often still had issues since there were many motherboard memory controllers that did not step up to the plate.

You might find some Corsair (or other) people who will test for you, but still, this will not be anything like a proven validation across the board. I wonder personally as to long term ability in 2000Mhz with relation to the memory controller. Already at 1866Mhz, the QPI-DRAM / VTT voltage is 1.6v to be validated. I'm not sure the need for 1866 QPI-DRAM / VTT voltage for 6 modules. I wonder what it is for the 1600Mhz X 6 modules @ 1600Mhz.

Nobody can speak to what the long term effects of 1600Mhz X 6 may be. Intel maximum spec for i7 is 1066Mhz. I would say it is fine, but still, one can not be certain until the long term use is proven.

I think part of it is they don't want to say they got it to work and then when it doesn't for others be blamed for giving bad info or people trying to RMA memory over and over to get that one combination of sets that works.

Archived