Corsair Community

Stability..?

SliScar

Hey there, I recently bought 2 pairs of...

'Twin2X4096-6400C5 800MHZ'

...and my motherboard is...

'Asus S775 nForce 780i DDR2 ATX Audio Lan STRIKER 11 FORMULA'

I put the timings in the bios at 5-5-5-18, the memory voltage at 2.0V, the NB to 1.4V, and the speed at 800MHZ.

I am experiencing the computer freezing in after about an hour typically, I had the problem as well when I had 4 x 1gb modules installed but not with 1 x 2gb so I am thinking it is a setting issue in the bios causing it.

• Corsair Employees

Have you tested with only 2 modules to see if you get the same issue? What you are describing could also be a heat related issue.

Just to be thorough, you may want to make sure your memory controller is well cooled since you are going to 1.4v. Also, make sure your CPU cooler is well seated.

Ok, I took a pair out so there is only 4GB installed now. The setting were the same as before.

(timings in the bios at 5-5-5-18, the memory voltage at 2.0V, the NB to 1.4V, and the speed at 800MHZ)

The computer was still freezing after a non specific amount of time, this process was spead up whislt playing games, around 15 minutes in the computer would freeze.

I ran memtest and it passed 3 times with no errors at all (with the above settings) I tried to set the speed to 667MHZ, still freezing, setting everything in bios to automatic, still freezing, and also the memory voltage at 1.8, 1.9, 2.0 and 2.1...

...Am I missing something, reading through numerous posts there seems to be some conflict of statements regarding if this ram will or wont work with this board. I am not an expert but there are no boot problems and I could most likely leave the computer on desktop and it would work for days on end but as soon as it is strained it freezes.

The issue is that you are running with 4 DRAM slots being populated and running them as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Let's get you stable first.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Insert a single stick of memory in the first slot (closest to the CPU). Restart.

Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker

CPU Level Up = Auto
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
x Overclock Options = Disabled (Greyed Out)

FSB & Memory Config

CPU Level Up = Auto
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 1066
MEM (DDR), MHz = 800

Spread Spectrum Control = All set to disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
CPU Multiplier = 11X
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Tech = Disabled
LDT Frequency = 5x

CPU Core 2 - Enabled
CPU Core 3 - Enabled
CPU Core 4 - Enabled

Memory Timing Setting

tCL: 5T
tRCD: 5T
tRP: 5T
tRAS: 18T
Command Per Clock = 2T
tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60T

Over Voltage

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = 1.5v
CPU VTT Voltage = 1.25
Memory Voltage + 1.9v
NB Core Voltage = 1.45v
SB Core Voltage = 1.50[/Code]

Shut the system down. Boot to the Memtest CD with that single stick and allow for two full paasses. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot two. Repeat memtest. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it into slot three and repeat memtest. Do the same for the last slot. You have now tested one stick and all four slots. Shut the system down and remove the first stick. Insert the second stick in slot one. Retest. Shut the system down and remove the second stick and insert the third stick in slot one. Repeat Memtest. Do the same with the last stick. You have now tested all four sticks.

Now test for the Dual Channel Mode function of the memory controller. Insert a stick in slot one and three and memtest. Remove the set and insert the second set in slot two and four and memtest.

Finally, insert a stick in slot one and slot three, a stick in slot two and slot four, lower your DRAM speed to 667Mhz while keeping all other settings and repeat Memtest. If Stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

• Corsair Employees

The computer was still freezing after a non specific amount of time, this process was spead up whislt playing games, around 15 minutes in the computer would freeze.

I ran memtest and it passed 3 times with no errors at all (with the above settings) I tried to set the speed to 667MHZ, still freezing, setting everything in bios to automatic, still freezing, and also the memory voltage at 1.8, 1.9, 2.0 and 2.1...

This memory will work well with your Striker. What you have posted above makes me think you have;

1. a heat related issue or

2. power related issue. or

3. a GPU related issue

Does this ONLY happen in games or do other types of stress cause the same failure? If gaming only, what games?

Archived