Corsair Community

Will my memory work for a planned upgrade?

optical304

Hi , Im planning to upgrade my current motherboard (Nforce2) to a Socket 754 one , Probably a Asus K8V or MSI K8T. I was wondering if i will be able to use the memory i currently have on the nforce 2 board on the new motherboard , and eventually add a third 256 or 512 MB DIMM ? The memory i now have is 2 DIMMS Corsair XMS with the 'platinum' heat spreader the serial and type numbers on the sticker read : CMX 256A - 3200C2PT XMS 3202 v 1.1 thanks in advance for your advice

Welcome to the forums, optical304! With a K8T800/754-Pin Socket mainboard & an Athlon 64 CPU, that memory would work just fine. As for adding in another non-matched module, you might be able to do it, but you'll probably end up relaxing the latencies to make it stable, I.E.: 2.5-3-3-7. PLUR CK

thanks for the quick reply :) In you reply you say you 'might' be able to do it - so theres a chance adding a 3rd DIMM won't work at all ? And if i do add the extra memory would it make sense to choose DIMMS that are roughly comparable to the ones that are already in use , like the CMX512R-3200C2PT for 512 MB / CMX256A-3200C2 for another 256 MB or will i have just as much chance with a XMS3500 or XMS3700 part ?

You should match them as closely as possible, this includes being buffered/unbuffered/ECC/Non-ECC as well as the speed. So I would NOT buy a registered module to put in with the two CMX modules! When I say "might" it's because there's a chance that it'll be unstable, but if they're closely matched and you use relaxed timings, it should work. PLUR CK

• Corsair Employees
First thing, If you have more than 2 modules with AMD 64 you may have to run the memory at DDR333. So I would not suggest more than 2 modules. In addition, I would suggest that you use slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and you should not have any problems. If you do want more system memory, I would suggest that you maybe find another use for these and just get a new set of Twinx1024-3200LL for your new system for best performance.

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employees
Please check your user manual for the MB you have. In addition, the CPU white papers suggests DDR200 with more than 4 banks as I understand it, so you may have to run the memory at DDR266 with more the 2 modules. But yes this applies to Socket 754 AMD64 CPUs!

Archived