Corsair Community

Making RAM work together

Eejit

I recently purchased some Corsair XMS2 Memory (see my profile) to bring my RAM up to 4 GB. The Corsair mem I bought is 2 x 1 GB of DDR2 800 and the other sticks are 2 x 1 GB of DDR2 1200. I finally got them to play nice together by setting my RAM timings to 4-4-4-12 to work with the Corsair stuff, but the Corsair sticks run at 2.1 V and the other ones run at 2.3 V. My question is if I should be running at 2.1 or 2.3 V and if I should also be adjusting the tRRD, tRC, tWR, tWTR, and tREF timings in any specific manner with respect to each set of DIMMs to optimize performance.

Thanks!

It is never advised or supported to mix and match memory from different fabrications. If you run the Corsair memory at greater than 2.1v you lose your warranty and the modules WILL show signs of electronic damage due to increased voltage.

So, run at 800Mhz with 2.1v and 4-4-4-12. Set the advanced timings to Auto.

I recently purchased some Corsair XMS2 Memory (see my profile) to bring my RAM up to 4 GB. The Corsair mem I bought is 2 x 1 GB of DDR2 800 and the other sticks are 2 x 1 GB of DDR2 1200. I finally got them to play nice together by setting my RAM timings to 4-4-4-12 to work with the Corsair stuff, but the Corsair sticks run at 2.1 V and the other ones run at 2.3 V. My question is if I should be running at 2.1 or 2.3 V and if I should also be adjusting the tRRD, tRC, tWR, tWTR, and tREF timings in any specific manner with respect to each set of DIMMs to optimize performance.

Thanks!

It is never advised or supported to mix and match memory from different fabrications. If you run the Corsair memory at greater than 2.1v you lose your warranty and the modules WILL show signs of electronic damage due to increased voltage.

So, run at 800Mhz with 2.1v and 4-4-4-12. Set the advanced timings to Auto.

Ah, that damage is what I was concerned about. I know it's not advised to do what I'm doing, but I honestly don't care about the performance boost from the DDR2 1200 so clocking everything down to the Corsair's recommended settings works for me. Thanks for the help.

Certainly. You are advised to raise the memory controller voltage +.2v as well since the load and access on the memory controller with all four DRAM slots being populated needs a bit more juice.

Ah, that damage is what I was concerned about. I know it's not advised to do what I'm doing, but I honestly don't care about the performance boost from the DDR2 1200 so clocking everything down to the Corsair's recommended settings works for me. Thanks for the help.

Archived