Corsair Community

HX620 Power Supply Dead

PiCo

I purchased the PSU from Overclockers.co.uk in July 2007 and have had no problems with it. Today around midday UK time I played a couple of hours of Farcry2, closed the pc down and turned the PSU And the domestic outlet off, about 5 hours later I returned turned the outlet on then the PSU, it blew a fuse. I had a look inside the PC case without disturbing anything and found nothing unusual, I then checked all cable connections and applied pressure to ensure they were all seated properly, as no-one had been near the pc there are no pets around everything was as it was I thought k it blew a fuse, I replaced the refuse and tried again, same thing. Houston we have a problem! I removed all connectors from the motherboard/harddrives/GFX card etc until all were removed the power pack was completely disconnected I then replaced the fuse and tried again this time the fuse blew, the RCB tripped and the on/off switch on the PSU remains in the on position, it can be toggled but refuses to switch to the off position.

What to do now please.

Help me out here because I aint an electrician but the tech on the end of my RMA request asked me to perform the paper clip test on this PSU, now I can understand that sometimes this can be a useful tool when trouble shooting but unless im very much mistaken I am experiencing a dead short. To me this spells danger Will Robinson so either this tech needs retraining or he didnt bother to check my enquiry, post ID was supplied in the RMA request form, either way it's dangerous advice, I can only imagine what could happen if I were to perform this test at this time. Personally I find this extremely irresponsible at best.

Plz advise further because everyday im this forum is another day im without my PC. Thnx

• Corsair Employees

The paper clip test is not dangerous as it is only a tiny signalling voltage used to start the actual PSU. You are not shorting AC or shorting DC output voltages. Here's a thread with a diagram:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63991

If you choose to do the test, it's up to you. Just make certain that the ONLY thing connected to the PSU is a fan or 2 to show the PSU a load.

I dont want to argue the toss for my part I will say performing a paperclip test on a PSU that is blowing fuses and tripping the circuit breaker is futile and serves no purpose I have been in contact with my power company (Scottish Power) and they have advised strongly against this, I could quote all the legal blurb they hit me with but that doesnt serve my purpose I will be quite happy to move on to the next stage.

• Corsair Employees
I dont want to argue the toss for my part I will say performing a paperclip test on a PSU that is blowing fuses and tripping the circuit breaker is futile and serves no purpose I have been in contact with my power company (Scottish Power) and they have advised strongly against this, I could quote all the legal blurb they hit me with but that doesnt serve my purpose I will be quite happy to move on to the next stage.

Please see post # 2 above then :sunglasse

Archived