Corsair Community

TR3X6G2000C8GTF & Asus P6T Deluxe V2 settings?

bratboy

Okay finally got all the parts gathered up and am ready to put my new machine together but a little help/advice would be appreciated. At least to start with I don't plan on messing with OC'ing just yet, first just want to make sure everything is up and running well.

Anyway I'm planning on installing 2 sets of TR3X6G2000C8GTF on my P6T Deluxe V2 board but am unclear as to exactly what bios settings I need to check/change. I know the memory is 8-8-8-24-2t and so I'm sure I need to check & perhaps set those as well as make sure the board is set to 2000 for memory speed but have seen several references to setting memory to XMS but when I look thru my MB manual I see nothing in the way of an option to do so. Am I blind?

I know I ask questions that others may think are basic but I just want to make sure I do things right.

Derek, feel free to explain it like your dealing with an imbecile as building an uber system from scratch is a definitely new thing for me

http://www.3dnews.ru/_imgdata/img/2008/12/12/asus/bios_select_overmode.jpgI stand to the minimalist approach when installing a new system. I set the motherboard on a table. I insert the CPU and cooler. Then a video card, one stick of memory (on your board, I set to the first orange slot) and mouse/keyboard.

This is where the computer will stay until I have completed all tests, stability, etc.

I gain boot. Once I have gained boot, I enter BIOS and set the values for the memory. In your case, I would set the "AI Overclock Tuner" to X.M.P. Then I shut the system down and restart. If I gain boot at the X.M.P. level boot I shut down and install the optical and hard drive(s). I then boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. I then shut the system down and insert the second and third sticks in the last two orange slots, booting to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If I pass, I then move to an installation of the OS. The installation of an OS is a good test of basic overall system stability. Once the OS is installed, drivers installed, I then use Linpack to test for stability using Real Temp to check my temperatures. Once I am assured of Linpack stability I can then begin the install into the case.

That's my method at any rate. :):

Okay finally got all the parts gathered up and am ready to put my new machine together but a little help/advice would be appreciated. At least to start with I don't plan on messing with OC'ing just yet, first just want to make sure everything is up and running well.

Anyway I'm planning on installing 2 sets of TR3X6G2000C8GTF on my P6T Deluxe V2 board but am unclear as to exactly what bios settings I need to check/change. I know the memory is 8-8-8-24-2t and so I'm sure I need to check & perhaps set those as well as make sure the board is set to 2000 for memory speed but have seen several references to setting memory to XMS but when I look thru my MB manual I see nothing in the way of an option to do so. Am I blind?

I know I ask questions that others may think are basic but I just want to make sure I do things right.

Derek, feel free to explain it like your dealing with an imbecile as building an uber system from scratch is a definitely new thing for me

Thanks for the advice. So the XMP setting is under the DRAM timing control selection. Silly me I was going all thru the manual looking for something that said XMS, hehe.

I will probably do most of what you suggest. I've already made a Memtest Boot CD so will probably do the test one then 2 then 3 mem stick routine. I think once I get past that tho I'll just install the MB and then do my OS install as I'd have to pull out the HD from my current system to try and do OS install your way and the main thing is just to make sure the mem and slots are good.

Well have put my MB together, just waiting for a fan I ordered to use over my NB and I'll be rdy to install it and pray all works well.

I decided I'm just going to go with one set the memory instead of fooling around with trying to get 6 sticks to work together, just seems like there are too many things that might go wrong. This way I should be able to run the memory at its full spec's. Really hoping I've got everything put together right and that none of the other new HW I have for the board are bad. Would be my luck to get everything pulled together and then find out I have to RMA something hehe.

Then once I know all is well I'll consider playing around with OC'ing. Is it fairly easy to OC the CPU without messing with the memory?

• 1 year later...

(Heavy Sigh) After a yr of everything working just fine all of a sudden poof 2 gigs missing. Apparently there are issues with the origonal GT's I was never aware of that are now hitting me. 12 gig's ran just peachy without any fuss then about a month ago I lost 2 gig's, reseated the mem and reflashed and reset my bios & all came back so just assumed somehow had jiggled loose or something. Then last weekend again poof 2 gig's gone. Each individual chip and slot passes on their own, any 2 sticks show 4 gig's no prob but with the one set of 3 no matter what if I put all 3 in it only reads 4 gig's. The other set seems to be okay, knock on wood, but now worried they will start going too :(:

Hopefully they will RMA all of it so I have matching stuff but waiting to hear back from CS now. If I understand things right since the newer models of GT2000 use different timings and since also is a chance of the other set acting up as well it would be best but they may only replace the one set which then would mean I'll have to buy another set of whatever they replace my bad ones with if I want 12 gig's again.

Well since wasn't OC'ing beyond using XMP setting frying after a yr seems a tad unlikely. The individual slots and the individual sticks all "seem" to pass just fine but with the one set when all 3 are in its only seeing 2 now. Anyway went ahead and called and spoke with someone very helpful. Over the phone he walked me through picking the correct new part and also agreed it was best to replace all 6 sticks now and that it wasn't an issue. Just waiting for my RMA email so can set up the advanced replacement.

Archived