Corsair Community

Memory won't run in Dual Channel anymore

natelove

I need help figuring out if my memory or my board is having issues. I built a computer back in Oct. of 08, Its a ASUS striker II extreme MB, with a Q9400 intel chip. I got Corsair dual channel ddr3 memory 2x1mb, the computer ran perfectly until just this week, after I turned it on in the morning it wouldn't boot, and got stuck on "Det DRAM", which is the code for detecting ram. After doing a search on the net, I found out that taking out the MB battery and taking the power supply out might reset the CMOS and get the MB to read the RAM correctly. I tried this and it didn't help. So I took one of the ram modules out and I got the board to boot, then I went into the Bios and made sure the ram voltage was set correctly. I powered down and then put the other ram module into the dual channel memory slot. Again the MB did not boot, same error "Det DRAM", so I decided to put it in the non dual channel slot on my board, then the Computer booted.

In other words, I can use my memory, but I no longer is working or being recognized in Dual Channel. Is there something wrong with my memory modules? Should I return them? Even though my computer is functional, I'd like to use my memory in Dual Channel, the way it was suppose to be used. Please Advise.

Nate,

My profile should give you any extra info you need. Thanks.

Dual Channel Mode is a function of your motherboard's memory controller. As long as the memory fulfils the requirements of the memory controller (Matched Pair) then the ability to set to Dual Channel Mode falls to the Northbridge. Proof of the issue being the memory controller is the Memtest passing in single channel mode.

You have a memory controller issue by virtue of your testing. I recommend an RMA of the motherboard.

I need help figuring out if my memory or my board is having issues. I built a computer back in Oct. of 08, Its a ASUS striker II extreme MB, with a Q9400 intel chip. I got Corsair dual channel ddr3 memory 2x1mb, the computer ran perfectly until just this week, after I turned it on in the morning it wouldn't boot, and got stuck on "Det DRAM", which is the code for detecting ram. After doing a search on the net, I found out that taking out the MB battery and taking the power supply out might reset the CMOS and get the MB to read the RAM correctly. I tried this and it didn't help. So I took one of the ram modules out and I got the board to boot, then I went into the Bios and made sure the ram voltage was set correctly. I powered down and then put the other ram module into the dual channel memory slot. Again the MB did not boot, same error "Det DRAM", so I decided to put it in the non dual channel slot on my board, then the Computer booted.

In other words, I can use my memory, but I no longer is working or being recognized in Dual Channel. Is there something wrong with my memory modules? Should I return them? Even though my computer is functional, I'd like to use my memory in Dual Channel, the way it was suppose to be used. Please Advise.

Nate,

My profile should give you any extra info you need. Thanks.

Archived