Corsair Community

System keeps shutting down with a HX 1000W

theoldtimer

I am having a problem with my new system build. The system shuts down before loading the bios, in the bios, loading windows, in windows, under a load or at no load at boot it sometimes restarts three to five times. I think the problem is the power supply the Corsair HX 1000W which is less than three weeks old. When I swap to my old power supply (PC Power and Cooling 750W) the system is very stable and doesn’t shut down. I bought the Corsair 1000W for the new build to add a third graphics card and didn’t think the old 750W had enough power or power connectors. I have swapped the two power supplies twice to make sure that I didn’t have a loose connection and each time I install the Corsair 1000W psu the system begins the shutdowns again.

The motherboard I am now using is the Asus Rampage II extreme but the first build for this power supply was the Vega X58 and the same thing happened with that motherboard with the shutdowns. I swapped memory, hard drives, graphic cards, operating systems, surge protectors, electrical outlets, monitors, several different bios flashes including the latest for each motherboard and anything else I could think of. I finally returned the motherboard for this Asus and installed all the parts and guess what the shutdowns were still there. I thought wow the only thing I haven’t changed is that new Corsair 1000 psu but it can’t be that this is the best one I can find? Well I swapped the Corsair for the old PC Power and Cooling 750W and like I said above the system became stable for the first. If you can think of anything else I can or should try let me know but at this point after three weeks of shutdown I am wondering if I may harm my new hardware by exposing it to more of these constant shutdown with the Corsair 1000W.

I’d take it back to Microcenter for an exchange but I already clipped the UPC and mailed in the rebate form.

Any ideas for a quick fix of the problem or should I just RMA it?

Yes I have been in the bios in both motherboards. Like I said I flashed the bios in each of the motherboards I used, fact is I flashed several versions of the bios for each of the motherboards in hopes of finding one that worked. The system shuts down at random times, before bios load, in bios, loading windows, in windows, under load, and under no load. The only way I could get the system to run long enough to install an Operating System was by using one old PCI graphics card and one stick of ram and the system still shut down many times during the OS installation. After I swapped the Corsair HX 1000 (the first time) with the PC Power and Cooling 750W I installed another OS onto another drive in the system without a hitch or shut down. I installed all the drivers and windows updates along with all the hardware I use (two ATI 3870X2 graphics cards and three sticks 3x2GB of the Corsair 1600CL9 memory) then stress tested the system for two hours. I then ran some bench tests on the system along with regular use over the course of a few days just to make sure the system was stable. The system did not suffer any shutdowns during this time. I then swapped the 750W psu for the Corsair 1000W and the system shutdowns returned. That was today. I then swapped the 750W back into the system and it’s running stable again with no shutdowns. I have all the power saving setting turned off in the bios and windows, no sleep state, no monitor or hard drive shut down in windows Vista 32-bit.

• Corsair Employees

I would say there either has to be a short or grounding issue that our PSU is picking up on, and shutting itself down, or there is a problem with the HX1000W. Either way, lets get the unit replaced!

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I have the same PSU, and had a little different Version of this fault (assuming it is the same fault)

It might give you a hint were the problem may be, so i'll write up the story:

I received my new System on Friday:

i720, Asus Rampage II, 6Gb Ram, GTX 295, and your 1kW Power Supply.

After assembling the System, it wouldnt Boot. It didn't even show the Bios.

The Asus Mainboard has a LCD that shows the actual State of the POST process.

However, it showed only showed "Welcome" for 5 Seconds and afterwards went on Counting Seconds beginning from 0.

To locate the problem, i dissasembled the System Step by Step, and it wouldnt even Post with no GPU, no Ram, only CPU.

There werent Error Codes on the LCD and there were no "Error Beeps" by the Mainboard. I assumed it must be a Broken Mainboard.

There is a Switch on the Mainboard to clear CMOS. I tried that and then i could boot. So i still thought of a faulty mainboard. I installed Windows 7, could even Reboot. But when i Shut it down, it wouldnt Boot. After alot of trying in the Wild (I would have sent the Mainboard back long ago, wouldnt it be for the weekend) i found something crazy. So this is the Description and the Workaround:

Error: System wont Post

Workaround: Start the System. It wont Post. Switch off the Power of your PSU, then after maximal 1 Second switch it on again. Then start again. It posts. When not, repeat Process.

This was reproducible several times. When i connected my old PSU the System would POST withouth a hassle. After the System Boots (on your 1kW psu) i can use it without much trouble. There were only some shutdowns from time to time especially in games, but i dont know yet if it is related.

I by no means want anyone to consider this horrible Workaround as Solution and i dont recomment to try it out, because it might (and most probably will) damage your hardware in the long term. I will send my PSU in on Monday to my local reseller, i just thought, since there obviously is at leasty one person with a almost related glitch, i would tell you may story. It might be an error in a whole production line, and this would severely damage you reputation, since a damaged psu is really hard to locate.

I received an RMA # to return my HX 1000W power supply. What do I include in the box everything that came in the original box or just the power supply? I am unclear about that. I didn't find anything in the RMA email that specified which pieces to return.

Just the PSU.

I have the same PSU, and had a little different Version of this fault (assuming it is the same fault)

It might give you a hint were the problem may be, so i'll write up the story:

I received my new System on Friday:

i720, Asus Rampage II, 6Gb Ram, GTX 295, and your 1kW Power Supply.

After assembling the System, it wouldnt Boot. It didn't even show the Bios.

The Asus Mainboard has a LCD that shows the actual State of the POST process.

However, it showed only showed "Welcome" for 5 Seconds and afterwards went on Counting Seconds beginning from 0.

To locate the problem, i dissasembled the System Step by Step, and it wouldnt even Post with no GPU, no Ram, only CPU.

There werent Error Codes on the LCD and there were no "Error Beeps" by the Mainboard. I assumed it must be a Broken Mainboard.

There is a Switch on the Mainboard to clear CMOS. I tried that and then i could boot. So i still thought of a faulty mainboard. I installed Windows 7, could even Reboot. But when i Shut it down, it wouldnt Boot. After alot of trying in the Wild (I would have sent the Mainboard back long ago, wouldnt it be for the weekend) i found something crazy. So this is the Description and the Workaround:

Error: System wont Post

Workaround: Start the System. It wont Post. Switch off the Power of your PSU, then after maximal 1 Second switch it on again. Then start again. It posts. When not, repeat Process.

This was reproducible several times. When i connected my old PSU the System would POST withouth a hassle. After the System Boots (on your 1kW psu) i can use it without much trouble. There were only some shutdowns from time to time especially in games, but i dont know yet if it is related.

I by no means want anyone to consider this horrible Workaround as Solution and i dont recomment to try it out, because it might (and most probably will) damage your hardware in the long term. I will send my PSU in on Monday to my local reseller, i just thought, since there obviously is at leasty one person with a almost related glitch, i would tell you may story. It might be an error in a whole production line, and this would severely damage you reputation, since a damaged psu is really hard to locate.

Solraun, thanks for the reply. The shutdown problem I have been experiencing is different than other hardware problems I have experienced in the past. I have quite an assortment of Asus motherboards around the bench and in different areas of the house. I have found the Asus performance motherboards to be a bit finicky at boot up especially when I have made a setting change in bios that it doesn’t like usually to over clock the system but in this case standard clocks. I have tried this psu on two different x58 chipset motherboards and the shutdown problems were the same on both motherboards. I thought the problem may be a compatibly issue between the Corsair HX 1000w psu and the x58 chipset or corei7 processor. So today I installed the HX 1000 psu onto a Asus AM2+ motherboard with a 6400+ processor 2x1Gb sticks of memory 1x pci graphics card and one hard drive nothing extra just the motherboard in the open laying on a box. The system wouldn’t boot at all it just started the fans for a split second then stopped. I tried to boot four times. I removed, swapped memory modules and removed the hard drive but it was a no go or no boot in this case. I removed the HX 1000psu and installed an old Antec 430w psu and the system booted right up installed the OS. I then rebooted the system several times and overclocked it then ran some bench tests.

In my opinion the Corsair HX 1000w psu I have is broken and was broken before I removed it from the box. If there is a problem with this particular series of psu I really wouldn’t know, as this is the first Corsair psu I have owned. I just wish I didn’t have to pay to have it shipped all the way back to the west coast since the problem with the unit isn’t of my doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I sent my HX 1000w in (RMA) for repair or replacement two week last Monday. I received an email explaining that the process was running a few days behind so I wasn’t sure how long it would be before I received a working PSU so I bought a Corsair 850W to use during the downtime. That PSU is great it supplies enough power to run my core i7 920 over clocked to 4200MHz along with the water cooling system, all the fans, drives and two GTX260 graphics cards running in SLI. I have installed the 850w on two different systems now both over clocked running two graphics cards (two 3870x2’s in crossfireX in the other system) along with the rest of the hardware. The 850W doesn’t miss a beat. I highly recommend this PSU.

I received the replacement Corsair HX1000W PSU Monday and have been testing it in both systems for the last several days. I really don’t know what the problem was with the first PSU I sent back through the RMA process but I can tell you for sure based on the testing I have done so far this one is a keeper. All of the system shutdowns and booting issues are completely absent with this replacement HX1000W. This type of performance was what I expected from Corsair when I bought the first HX1000W that was replaced. You (Corsair) stood by your product and made it right by replacing the problem unit.

I would like to thank everyone involved in this entire process and certainly everyone that posted in this thread.

By the way the HX1000W is powering my Intel Core i7 920 with all the hardware stated above at the same overclock but now I have three GTX260 over clocked graphics cards running in TRI-SLI installed. Not one shutdown or boot problem has occurred with the replacement PSU.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I think I am experiencing a similar problem. I bought a Corsair HX1000W (EU ? it isn't indicated anywhere on the box or on the PSU, but it's got an EU cable) and it just doesn't want to boot connected to my Asus P5B mobo. I had a Tagan 380U, but last week it gave up after almost 2 years of flawless service. I have two other PSUs - a Chieftec 350 and a Modecom Feel II (or III - not sure right now) - and both work fine with the motherboard. I didn't test the Chieftec "all the way" to Windows and some games, but the Modecom powers the system just fine through a few hours of GTA4 (taking at most 230W from the wall). The Corsair however doesn't allow the computer to boot cleanly - most of the time the fans and disks just spin up but no POST occurs. Sometimes the BIOS splash will show up and the computer freezes, sometimes I can get into the BIOS and it freezes a few seconds later, sometimes the video shuts down (probably along with everything else). Tried it with minimal load (mobo+proc+ram, no gfx) and maximal load I could think of (mobo+proc+ram+gfx+disk+cd+some stuff connected to usb) - makes no difference.

But that's not all. If I connect the Corsair to an AsRock mobo (can't recall the model name), a dual core Pentium E2140 1.6GHz, 2GB of RAM, a 1TB WD disk and a GF7900GS 256MB it works fine! The system boots and is stable.

I already tried returning the PSU to the shop, but they said that it worked flawlessly with their Gigabyte MA790FXT and some 3DMark tests.

If the only mobo&psu combination that isn't working is my P5B and the HX1000W should I blame the mobo ? Could the failing Tagan cause a silent corruption, which is noticeable only to the HX1000W's protection logic ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Archived