Corsair Community

P4 & Overclocking DDR400LL

RiD

First off I want to say I'm very pleased with my Corsair RAM it has run absolutely fine at the specs that was advertised for as long as I've had them. So this isn’t a wine or moan but just a few questions that I’m hoping someone can answer for me regarding overclocking my RAM. Now recently I splashed out :D: on a water cooling setup but completely forgot to check my RAM beforehand and see if it could go the desired speed. My P4 2.4C running on an Abit IC7-MAX3 was always overclocked using air cooling to 3Ghz using the 5:4 divider at 250Mhz FSB. My RAM consists of 4 256MB sticks of Corsair XMS DDR400 LL, 3 of which are v1.2 and one is a 1.1 but runs at the same settings as the others as I know those modules are no longer made, one of the 1.2's is a replacement for a v1.1 that was faulty. With the water cooling I know I can run my CPU at 3.3Ghz using a 275Mhz FSB but the 5:4 divider gives 220Mhz for the RAM, it doesn’t matter what settings I seem to try as the computer will not post if I set it to this speed. So I try the 3:2 divider and it gives 183Mhz but same thing no post and I have to clear the CMOS to get it back again. I was actually able to get it to run stable with relaxed timings at 208Mhz but no further, any ideas why it wont allow an underclock and is my RAM simply incapable of being pushed any further. Thx for any help.

I'd start by running [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] on each module individually to see if one is failing. Barring a weak module, I'd say you've either gone to or past your CPU's physical ability to function. Remember, there IS a limitation to how fast you can make it go, even if you keep it cool. Try to back the FSB off a little bit and see what you can do. Also, I think the 3200's will max before you get to 230MHz, but don't quote me on that. PLUR CK

Thx for the tips I know my CPU can do 3.3Ghz as I have an Asetek waterchill and I found two others on the Asetek forums with CPU ID's that match mine and also have the same motherboard. However I do have a sneaking suspicion about that last v1.1 module and will give Memtest a run though. As to how far the RAM can go I found conflicting reports on various sites that had reviewed the DDR400 LL one site said that they never got above 210Mhz with the old Corsair LL RAM but in a test of the new versions the ones with the same packaging as the modules that come with LED's they got to 240Mhz. Then a friend said he hadnt any trouble going to 230Mhz on his and their same v1.2 modules as mine. Again thanks for the help I'll look into each dimm a bit more and see if one of them is the culprit.

I'm just trying to give you a general maximum. Those really great 240+ OC's are pretty rare and are provided by websites or tech places that test many modules and make their living from overclocking. [b][color=red]Thx for the tips I know my CPU can do 3.3Ghz as I have an Asetek waterchill and I found two others on the Asetek forums with CPU ID's that match mine and also have the same motherboard.[/color][/b] Unfortunately, that's irrelevant. You do [b]not[/b] know that your CPU can do 3.3GHz until you try it on your CPU. No two CPU's are exactly the same and no two CPU's will ever overclock the same. I can repeat that message for your mainboard and chipset. I'm not trying to get down on you, I wish you the best of luck, but remember that there's lot's of things going on! Get back with the Memtest results and we'll go from there! BTW, useless info here, but the best OC I've seen of the 3200LLPRO TwinX modules is ~PC3700! PLUR CK

Archived