Corsair Community

Corsair 520HX not enough AMPs for GeForce GTX 260???

sandiegonative

How to Pick the Right Power Supply for Your Computer

Hey Ram Guy please read the above link.

Here are some the highlights that effect me:

How to Know What You Need

There are some basic issues to consider. Wattage must be high enough to run everything, and for a modern machine that often means 500 watts or higher. However, people are buying 500-650 watt power supplies and still having problems, and the reason is that not all wattage is created equal. Amperage is just as important, and arguable more important on modern machines. Your video card especially will have an amp requirement. It should be right on the hardware specs where it will say "Requires a minimum of 28A on the 12V rail" or something similar.

Now, here is the tricky part: many modern power supplies share their amperage across multiple 12V rails. This was originally meant to distribute the current equally, making sure nothing failed. However, no one checked with the video card companies, who had figured out a way to dynamically alter the voltage required by the video card based on use. This gave us all those neat features like cards that can overclock when you start a game or where the fan changes speed based on the heat of the card. However, it also means those shared rails get all confused and try to balance the load, often causing graphical slowdown and hard drive errors.

This means a power supply may say "30A" and then have 4 12V rails sharing that 30A and balancing the load, which will not be enough for a video card that says "minimum 30A on the 12V rail". You will get tons of errors. This gives you two choices: shoot for about 5 amps higher than your card says, which may be pretty hard to find, or find a power supply that offers the amperage you need in a single rail.

My PC is crashing and/or I lose video with my new GeForce GTX 260 (please see specs in my profile). I am replacing an 8600 GT. I have updated to the newest drivers from Nvidia. Same problem as this thread.

I have tried two Corsair 520HXs and one 620HX. Personally, I think it's the video card. I have a hard time believing three PSU are not putting out enough AMPs.

Just in case it's a connection issue?!?! I connected the two provide PCI-E connectors to the PSU and the other ends to the GTX 260. I'm assuming that's what I am suppose to use.

Please help...What do you think? Either PSU should work right.

The HX520 should be fine for a GTX260. It has 40A on the 12V rail (which is actually single, instead of split up as stated on the label). If the system is unstable with even a HX620 (which you've also tried), then I'd say the fault lies with something else, like the graphics card.

The HX520 should be fine for a GTX260. It has 40A on the 12V rail (which is actually single, instead of split up as stated on the label). If the system is unstable with even a HX620 (which you've also tried), then I'd say the fault lies with something else, like the graphics card.

Thanks for your input.

Yep, I have tried 3 PSUs. A known good HX520 which I have been using for a little less then a year, and brand new HX520 and HX620 PSUs.

What else could that "something else" be? I'm with you, I think it's the Graphics Card. With all my purchased being online with rebates, this has become a pain in the backside.

One last thing, did you read the posted link? If so, what is your opinion about the section I highlighted? In the end, which PSU should I get? I like modular but will settle with what works.

I just tried a new Corsair 550VX with "a single +12V power rail" rated at 41A and IT WORKED. Still running some test but at least it doesn't crash the system, reboot, and/or give me a Blue/Green Screen.

It's either one of four things:

1) I connected the PSU to the Graphics card incorrectly (I used both the PCIE connectors to the PSU and then to the Graphics card all four times)

2) Both the HX 520 and 620 are not capable of putting out the proper AMPs for the GTX 260.

3) All three PSU I tried are bad (two HX520 and one HX620).

4) My modular PCIE connectors are bad.

Ram Guy please advise.

THANKS!!!

Well, the HX620 is more powerful than a VX550. (12V = 50A for the HX620, 41A for the VX550): Strange that the three others wouldn't work, but rather than lack in power, it could be a quirky compatbility issue. I don't figure you connected anything wrong either. However, I've seen GTX 260 cards running fine off the HX620 PSUs, so it's definitely doable.

And yes, I did read the text you posted, there's no load balancing issues on the HX520/620 as there is in practice only one rail to connect everything. (Yes, I know, the label says three rails and it can cause confusion sometimes).

• Corsair Employees
Do the HX520 and HX620 work without any problems in any other systems? Can you duplicate the same issues with a different graphics card in your system, or if you use the GTX260 and either of the PSUs in a different system?

Do the HX520 and HX620 work without any problems in any other systems? Can you duplicate the same issues with a different graphics card in your system, or if you use the GTX260 and either of the PSUs in a different system?

Yes, the HX520 and HX620 work without any problems in the same system with a lesser video card (8600 GT).

I have used my existing HX520 with an Abit IN-MAX 32 and an 8600 GT without issues.

The long and short of it is, the only time I have this problem is when I use the GTX260 with either HX PSUs. I'm starting to believe the article I included in my first original post (highlighted portion sums it up).

IMHO, the multiple +12V rail system supplies the required AMPs when the PC is turned on. Once the GTX260 kicks into gear for a graphic intensive application/game the multiple rail system fails to adjust and provide the added AMPs needed. Thus, I'm left with a blue screen or loss of video.

What are your recommendations? Do you think my HX520 is the problem? If so, why didn't the HX620 work?

ME = CONFUSED :)

• Corsair Employees
We spoke on the phone, and I think you are on the right track, let us know if you still have problems with the replacement card. And if you do want to try replacing the PSU, then we can do that for you. Just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived