Corsair Community

Asus P5E64WS Evolution and 2 pairs of TW3X4G1333C9DHX issues

LightLordChiba

Hey guys, I've been having the same problem except for a few differences. I was running 4 gb on 2 sticks just fine, so I went up to 8 and system would not post. I went in and set timings for 9 9 9 24 and volts to 1.7 and it "was" running fine. Got a blue screen after 24 hours and now it won't post if I don't set defaults. I even tried setting dram ram to 1066 and turned off all overclocking. North bridge is at 1.35, and when I save changes and reset, the led reads d5 (copying BIOS to RAM) and hangs.

Right now its running ok but it's in auto and it only comes up as 536 mhz. I would be happy with 1066 if its stable.

I've read as many threads as I can and I can really use a bit of help. Let me know if I have to mess with SKEW, fsb strap, or SB volts. I could not get MEMTEST to run on my vista 64 bit but I used memtest that vista has built in and it said I had no problems. (shrug)

Thank you guys for such a great forum.

You are advised to drop the bandwidth when populating all four DRAM slots. I can give you custom settings for your BIOS but you are running on SPD for four DRAM slots by virtue of the system's plug and play BIOS.

536Mhz X 2 (DDR) = 1072Mhz (1066Mhz)

Download CPU-z from-->
Here

and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

• Corsair Employees
North bridge is at 1.35, and when I save changes and reset, the led reads d5 (copying BIOS to RAM) and hangs.

Right now its running ok but it's in auto and it only comes up as 536 mhz. I would be happy with 1066 if its stable. .

Memtest shows the actual frequency of the memory. DDR1066 operates at 533mhz. So, you are actually at DDR1072.

Also, if you see any more instability, try 1.4v on the NB.

Thanx, but I also can't get my RAM to the right timings in BIOS. It should be 9 9 9 24 but whenever I up it I get that d5 error and have to restart. Any Ideas? Do I have to adjust the SB volts or any others? Also I was clocking to 3.0 and had my FSB strap and frequency upped. I have since turned it back down to normal just to get RAM up to spec. If 7 7 7 20 and 9 9 9 24 are not that different then I'll go back up to 3.0.

Any knowledge would be great, and thank you for the help so far.

• Corsair Employees
9 9 9 24 1.6v revision 2.1, says it on all sticks. 7 7 7 20 is what BIOS shows in grey cause I have it on auto timing.

Odd, manually setting the timings to 9-9-9-24 should not be less stable than 7-7-7-24 and should not cause instability as the modules are actually rated at CAS9.

The only voltages you should need for the memory specifcally are the memory voltage at 1.6v - 1.7v and the memory controller voltage at 1.35v to 1.45v range.

Try clearing the BIOS, reboot, set timings manually, hit F-10 and see what happens.

If this fails, try setting the BIOS with 2 modules, power off, add 2 more, and test.

I tried going default and resetting the timings and I got a D1 error (enable IO device for bootlock) I went down to 2 sticks and it still wouldn't post. Only way I can get it to work is auto timing. When I OC'ed my chip I changed a few other voltages but now im all stock numbers cept for dram freq and NB.

Hey DerekT, is there any chance you can send me the custom settings that you offered before. I have a few more things to try before I RMA the board. I use my comp for work everyday and I have back ups but RMA'n this board will be a big hassle so I wanna try everything I can before doing it.

I had the 8 gbs running for a while, I guess the NB could have overheated?

Also, is it that bad running the RAM on auto settings? Am I doing damage to the sticks?

Running the memory on Auto settings with 4 X 2048 modules will not damage the memory but sure can damage the memory controller.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from
AI Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio Control: Auto
FSB Frequency: 266
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 333
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 1066
DRAM Command Rate: 2T

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CAS# Latency: 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9
RAS# Precharge: 9
RAS# Activate Time: 24
All the Rest of the Advanced Timings set to "Auto"

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
AI Clock Twister: Auto 
Transaction Booster: Auto

CPU Voltage: Auto
CPU Voltage Reference: Auto
CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto 
DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
North Bridge Voltage: 1.45v
North Bridge Voltage Reference: Auto
South Bridge Voltage: 1.50v

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

thx, I can't get memtest to run. I booted from cd and all I got was windows asking me which way I wanted to boot up. I'm running mem diagnostic from Vista right now. 2 passes. Is the vista tool a decent sub for memtest? Either way, it did post after I punched in those setting so thats a good sign. Also, my SB only goes up to 1.2 so thats what I entered. (shrug)

ok it passed with two sticks, gonna restart and put in all four and see what happens.

ok so Im in Vista and everything is ok so far. My mouse is cutting in and out which is weird and I hope has nothing to do with what I was doing. Im gonna run 3d test and see what happens.

Im gonna see how stable it is and then see if I can lower any of the volts cause I wanted to OC my Q6600 a bit more. Thx for the help and I will be back with more results.

Here are my CPU-Z pages

1349285130_cputab2.thumb.jpg.efbd2b367290759e2405e30cd2a88d61.jpg

753552230_memtab2.thumb.jpg.3e2f063c07013fcf528929e1aef6397b.jpg

1515416282_SPDtab2.thumb.jpg.486ebfb04be05015c3337a00d3042bf8.jpg

Archived