Corsair Community

HX520W Making High Pitched Noise

jbennett

Just installed a HX520W in a new home-built system. The power supply is making a loud high-pitched noise. I isolated the noise using a paper microphone, and it is coming from the back of the PSU. I don't really want to take off the CPU Fan Heat Sink to remove the PSU, but I will if I have to. The noise is unbearable. In addition to having to get some more thermal compound, snapping in the clamps on the Athlon AM2 heat sink requires a lot of force and is very nerve-racking.

I saw a bios fix on the forum to try for Intel motherboards. Is there a similar fix for Athlons?

Thanks, Ram Guy!

The noise (or tone) goes up about a third or a fourth of an octave in pitch when I make the computer do something, but it goes back down to the original pitch after a few seconds. Since I am just putting the machine together, I haven't loaded any software to lug it down over a long period of time, like a game. The volume is fairly constant, but since the noise is really high pitched, it penetrates into your brain more, or less, depending on how your head is turned.

The pitch also goes up when the PC booting up, again when it is busy loading something. When you leave the computer alone, the pitch stay constant and unwavering.

I still got the same noise while in Safe Mode. No difference.

The sound really is coming out of the back of the PSU grill.

• Corsair Employees

It sounds like a capacitor is buzzing and making the sound. It would not indicate any risk of damaging any components or causing any problems, however it can be bothersome. It's likely coming from either the PSU, video card or motherboard, and if possible I would install the PSU in a different system just to be sure the noise follows the PSU.

If it looks like there is a good chance that its the PSU, then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am not sure what to do. The new PSU arrived today, and it makes the same noise.

I am sure it is the PSU. But is there some setting on the motherboard that could make it go away, like for intel motherboards?

I did manage to start and run the pc without the noise one time, but when I rebooted it came back.

I still think the noise is coming from the PSU, but instead of the motherboard, could it be caused by another component, like the wireless mouse, the monitor, or the video card? Their isn't much else in the stripped down PC!

• Corsair Employees

The noise could be coming from the PSU, but the PSU itself may not be causing the noise. Voltage regulation issues on the motherboard or video card can cause feedback to trail up to the PSU and the frequency of this feedback can cause a capacitor to buzz. You may want to test the PSU on a different system to see if you can duplicate the same issues. You may also want to test with a different video card, or test your video card in a different system to see if you can rule it out as a possible cause.

If all else fails we can replace the unit for you, but there are many reasons why the buzzing could occur, and we could not guarantee that a PSU replacement would resolve the issue.

If you would like to go that route then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I guess I didn't make it clear that I already RMA'd once already.

I don't have any other PSU's to try that have an eight pin motherboard connector. I don't have another videocard. I can't stand the high pitched whistle. I am not sure what to do. I might try putting a PSU tester only and see if it whistles.........then I will know it is the PSU only, and not triggered by the video card.

I have read that this model often has "coil whine". Do you have other models that are immune to it?

• Corsair Employees
I still don't know how to resolve this issue between Corsair and Asus.

First thing to do is to find out what component is causing the buzz. The only way to do this is to start swapping components. I would test the PSU in a different system and see if it still buzzes. If you do not have any other hardware to test with then the only other option is to start having components replaced by their manufacturers or return/exchange them with your reseller.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The HX520W still makes noise even when only the ASUS motherboard is plugged in. Nothing else, no video card, no CPU, no memory, no mouse, no keyboard, no fans.......nothing. But it is silent with a PSU tester plugged into it.

Archived